Best Rated threads in ⚙ Mechanical Engineeringshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Stress question for the gurus
I have a simple question about some stress values used in an analysis I'm reviewing. Here's the material values the analysis is working with: AL 7075-T6511 extrusion- Ftu = 78 ksi Fcy = 70 ksi Fbru =...
2
2

Effectiveness of Diameter Reduction in Hydraulic Cylinder Blind End
Hydraulics is not my specialty, so please excuse me if I mis-use terminology, etc. We have a design with a hydraulic cylinder that is required only for emergencies; it is very important for it to...
6
6

Finding Direction Cosines with ANSYS
Hi All: I need to find the local normals in a rather complicated FEA mesh (shell elements). I talked to the guys at ANSYS and they said I need to write a macro to do this. Anyone do this recently? The...
2
2

Repairing Oertling TP 40 laboratory balance
Hi, I recently acquired a faulty Oertling TP 40 laboratory balance that was being thrown out by my university. It's an 800g capacity mechanical balance which reads down to 0.01g. The problem is that...
3
3

Homebrew NC Mill
My office opens onto a machine shop. I was just now chatting up the machinist, and idly musing on the workings of the transport mech or whatever it's called - it's got motors to drive the bed in X and...
19
19

Most rigid epoxy?
If this is an inappropriate forum for this question, please forgive and recommend a beter one. I need an epoxy that "gives" as little as possible, such that the maximum energy is transmitted with as...
7
7

Liquid piston Stirling engine
Quite a while ago (18 years [as part of my degree]) we were trying to get a liquid piston Stirling engine (no solid moving parts) working .The idea was to have it powered by solar radiation and to run...
4
4

What kind of plastic is polymer clay?
Hi all, Can anyone advise me as to the type of plastic that constitutes polymer clay (the stuff that kids use for crafts projects)? Is there an industrial version of this stuff, and is it used in any...
2
2

power hammer problem
i have a electrically operated power works on fast and loose pully of driving belt is controlled by is not in work for many years also its settings are it is not giving the same power to hammer. the...
1
1

williams and james (engineers) ltd
hello there, does anyone know if the company "williams and james (engineers) ltd" still exist in the UK, or if they have changed their company name ? they are makers of air compressors and related...
1
1

Re: 300% Modulus
Perhaps they are talking about elongation? Could it be the secant or tangent modulus at 300% elongation? 300% modulus is the tensile modulus at 300% elongation. See ASTM D 412 for more detail. Dan...
6
6

Methacrylate & cyanoacrylate -- differences?
Some adhesives mfr's are selling a windshield crack repair (filler, actually) containing methacrylate (esther?). How does this differ from cyanoacrylate ("super glue")? Does MA have properties...
2
2

wireframe,surface or solid and finite element analysis.
following is the text from sdrc ideas tutorial "I-DEAS uses a solid representation of part it's a complete representation, solid geometry supports any type of design and analysis application that...
4
4

Hoover Dam engineering question.
Hello, I wondered with all this talk of terrorism and Al-Qaeda, if hypothetically Hoover Dam were to be totally demolished, would Phoenix Arizona be in any danger? Would the immense volume of water...
29
29

simple question about patran
When i export a viewport image, the background is black. How can I set beckground viewport color to white, to save incjet!!! There should be an icon on the toolbar that switches black with white...
2
2

truss' moment of inertia
my handbook of formulas has a myriad of entries for the moment of inertia of cross sections of various shapes. but there's nada for trusses. i've got a canti-levered beam which is too heavy for the...
11
11

Ball Screw Noise - Normal??
We're using a ball screw, purchased from Thompson, in a horizontally positioned linear translation stage. It spans 88" with a 1" screw Diameter. I believe the lead is 0.5". The ball screw is...
17
17

ABAQUS Problem
I am trying to assign the geometric coordinates to nodes in ABAQUS using parameter, but as son as analysis starts, it terminates with error: ***ERROR: INVALID FLOAT VALUE LINE IMAGE: 1, 0.*1, 0.*1 How...
1
1

propane flow through aperture
I'd like to figure out how much propane flows through the tip in a burner I built, in order to determine how much heat it delivers. The tip I'm using now is 0.8" long with an inside diameter of .030"...
5
5

FxT2 Material
Anyone ever heard of this material? I presume it's some metal alloy - the PHB poked his head into my office and said, "Find out what you can about this material." I've found _one_ reference to it on...
5
5