Best Rated threads in ⚙ Mechanical Engineeringshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

SOLVER module: general error
HI I HAVE DOUT ABOUT THE SOLVER ERROR MASSEGE FROM ANSYS WORKBENCH. PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO DEAL WITH THE MESHING WHEN I HAVE 400 SMALL PARTS IN THE ASSEMBLY. WHILE DOING THE THERMAL ANALYSIS IT GIVE...

Maximum Yield stress for Standard Hardened Steel dowel pins
Hello everyone, I would like to ask if anyone could please help me with the following situation. I am using a standard hardened steel "pull out" dowel pin from as a bearing shaft. I need to know the...
1
1

Tapping Carbon Fiber
I have been working with a product that has fasteners (M8) connected to into tapped holes in carbon fiber. My first instinct is that this seems to be a terrible idea. Has anyone worked with this? Any...
7
7

What is ansys' shear stress sign convention?
Dear all, I tried to plot the shear stress of a cantilever beam, which is loaded at one free end by a downward force (-y direction). Then I tried to plot the shear stress of the left half of the beam,...
3
3

Can a helicoil from side "A" take a screw/bolt from side "B"?
I have a situation where I need to screw into some aluminum. Can a helicoil be installed at the bottom of a deep hole, or even on the other side of a deep counterbore? Say I've got two parts: ------...
4
4

Connecting rod moment of inertia
hello, how can I calculate the moment of inertia of a crankshaft-connecting rod system ? I've been told to assume 1/3 of connecting rod mass to roughly compute its rotational moment of inertia. Are...
10
10

Re: less friction: delrin on delrin or delrin on steel?
Steel? Did I win? Delrin on delrin will wipe together-too smooth. Polished steel works better. Did I win? wws The delrin and metal combination would have less friction. Rick Another option is Teflon...
8
8

flow control valve actuator for fountain
Looking to source a flow control valve for a dancing fountain I'd like to build in my backyard. I'm hoping to find something common and cheap from old automobiles. Though, I need linear control...not...
10
10

"The Automat, made in Switzerland"
Hi, My second topic about this, I hope this time I can find somebody to help me. I have a set called "The Automat", Swiss origin as stated on the box and no other label at all. It seems very old...
7
7

knurling specification for metal components?
how is knurling specified? is it surface roughness, i.e. peak to trough? is there any specification for angle of the knurled pyramids or the pattern? can it be easily done on a flat surface on...
9
9

Hilpert's empirical equation.
I'm looking for info on the subject above. I'm particularly interested in the correlation: "Hilpert's empirical equation: Nu = 0.174 Re^0.618 " I found this, un-referenced on a website, and have not...
4
4

How many cfm can a typical hair dryer blow?
I think it's somewhere between 10 cubic feet per minute (cfm) and 100 cfm, but can anyone give me a more precise value? Anyone have a hair dryer manual, a link to specs, ??? Thanks, Michael If you...
12
12

Question About Cold Retaining Metal
What metal (or other fairly common substance) retains COLD the longest? I was thinking of experimenting this hot Summer with placing various chunks of metal in my freezer and...more or less using them...
19
19

torque required to stir liquid?
i'm trying to calculate how much motor torque is required to stir a liquid at a constant speed. liquid viscosity is 1.04. required speed is 30rpm. stirrer tool (impeller) needs to be approx. 200mm...
7
7

Questions about bottle jack
1. What device limits the cylinder extension? 2.What device allows for the cylinder retraction? 3.What is the reservoir? 4. What methods are used for cylinder and piston sealing? Explain about the...
1
1

Horizontal force needed to hold a specific load
Hi, How can I calculate the horizontal force that is needed to hold some specific load? An example: What is the force that I need to exert with my fingers horizontally to hold a 1Kg load, this...
1
1

Invitation from Dr Roland Clarke, Co-Chair - Renewable Energy Finance Forum Latin America and the Caribbean, REFF-LAC 2013, Miami
Renewable Energy Finance Forum Latin America and the Caribbean (REFF-LAC) April 30 - May 1, 2013 | Miami, Florida Invitation from Dr Roland Clarke, Co-Chair - Renewable Energy Finance Forum Latin...

Air Flow Formula Help
I need to know how many CFMs I will get with 150psi through a fitting with a 1/8th inch hole. The hose is about 2 feet long, if it matters. Thanks 32.4 CFM google "air flow orifice" DJ Why 150 psi?...
24
24

3d beam element 12x12 consistent mass matrix
Can anyone show me the coefficients of the consistent mass matrix for a 3d beam element ? I found one in a book by C.T.F. Ross, but that one is not consistent with the acompanying code. So I am at a...
1
1

Conference on Hydrocarbon safety-PETROSAFE 2007 at Kochi, Kerala, India.
A three day conference on Hydrocarbon safety will be held at Kochi, Kerala, India from 23-25 of April' conference is Organized by National safety Council-Kerala Chapter in technical collaboration with...