Best Rated threads in ⚙ Mechanical Engineeringshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Conference on Hydrocarbon safety-PETROSAFE 2007 at Kochi, Kerala, India.
A three day conference on Hydrocarbon safety will be held at Kochi, Kerala, India from 23-25 of April' conference is Organized by National safety Council-Kerala Chapter in technical collaboration with...

Removing Gear Box from Dayton Gear Motor
I purchased a Dayton 5K942 gear motor. The motor had burned out--windings on one side. A friend took one look at it, and said why did you get the gear box? Well, I'm certainly not experienced with...
5
5

how to convert point cloud to solid object in AUTOCAD?
Hi, Anyone can help me? I have a data file about my face. It is a txt file which only includes X Y Z position data. I can import it into AUTOCAD and see the face. However, It is only a point cloud. I...
6
6

MATERIAL SPECS SS41P ???
Dear friends, I am one mechanical engineer and came across one material SS41P ( JIS STd) I would like to know more about this material, Like its composition and its equivalent material as per ISO/DIN...
1
1

Lead of NAS1580
Hi, Where can i find the lead of NAS1580, or other bolts/screws, for that matter? Thanks!! F5Techie
5
5

Compressing Blocks of Snow
This is quite a bizarre question, but this group seems like the best place for it. For a number of years, I've had a hobby of building large snowforts. The structures are built primarily from blocks...
9
9

import dxf to Abaqus
Hi, I have a model in dxf format (points and lines) which I need to import into abaqus to run and fem analysis. Basically, we have a model created from data obtained from laser scanning an object, the...

How does a bottle jack work?
Hi kids: I'm trying to design a foot pump jack for use on hospital gurneys to raise and lower the bed. It's set up just like a bottle jack and is pumped up and then pressing a relief valve lets the...
19
19

Satellite dish wind resistance
I need to modify a sat dish mount and need to work out the horizontal stress on the mount with a 1.2 M dia dish, (very shallow dish) at 150 knots. Need formula for same and basic explanation of...
8
8

Calculating Steam turbine steam flow
At work we derive the steam flow entering the HP turbine stage of a 500MW steam turbine using the following equation: Steam_flow = 735.7 x( 1st Stage steam pressure ) / Sqrt( 1st Stage steam Temp )...
2
2

Strongest non-metallic screws?
Hi: I need to replace some 4-40 stainless steel socket cap screws with non-metallic ones. Nylon is an obvious choice, but I'm not sure if it is strong enough. Any stronger non-metal materials from...
9
9

Holzer method
I would like to analyze a machine I'm designing for the natural frequencies of all the rotating shafts and inertias. We used to do this with the Holzer Tabulation method with many hand calculated...
3
3

Stress question for the gurus
I have a simple question about some stress values used in an analysis I'm reviewing. Here's the material values the analysis is working with: AL 7075-T6511 extrusion- Ftu = 78 ksi Fcy = 70 ksi Fbru =...
2
2

Aronhold-Kennedy Theorem
Hello all! Could someone point me to a PROOF of the Kennedy-Arnhold Theorem? "When considering three links - i, j, k - the three instantaneous centers - Pij, Pik, Pkj - are co-linear." I have seen its...
1
1

RF Welding equipment from Europe (27.12MHz)
We offer a full range of HF welders / RF welders and HF/RF Generators and hydraulic presses. _______ _______________ Available HF/RF Welder Machines: :: HF/RF Welders with continuous weld and movable...

Force exerted by a cam
Gentlemen: A radius R round cam rotates around a radius r shaft. The distance between the two axis is E . To the shaft is applied a torque T. Assuming the same friction coefficient between the shaft...
1
1

bow-facing oars
Giovanni da Verrazanno logged that in 1524, he was near Block Island, slowed by heavy seas and unfavorable winds, when 20-man rowed dugouts intercepted him. At first, they kept their distance,...

how to mount VAWT on tapered roller bearing?
I'm making a wind-powered sculpture (powered by a VAWT - and I am trying to construct a rotating turntable as the base of the VAWT. I tried a 6" lazy susan bearing but it's loud and there's too much...
6
6

AutoFEA ("JL Analyzer") Finite Element software
Does anybody know anything about the AutoFEA Finite Element software (formaly known as JL Analyzer) from the site below? They offer free trial download but do not respond to e-mail or phone messages...

Boeing 787; in what units has been designed?
Do you think that the ease of conversion between different systems of units now makes it irrelevant what units are used? Or should people strive to convert to SI? I teach a course in Product...
15
15