Best Rated threads in ⚙ Mechanical Engineeringshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Removing Gear Box from Dayton Gear Motor
I purchased a Dayton 5K942 gear motor. The motor had burned out--windings on one side. A friend took one look at it, and said why did you get the gear box? Well, I'm certainly not experienced with...
5
5

MATERIAL SPECS SS41P ???
Dear friends, I am one mechanical engineer and came across one material SS41P ( JIS STd) I would like to know more about this material, Like its composition and its equivalent material as per ISO/DIN...
1
1

Lead of NAS1580
Hi, Where can i find the lead of NAS1580, or other bolts/screws, for that matter? Thanks!! F5Techie Lead? Thread size & pitch? This is a Bolt, 100 Flush Head, 95 Ksi Shear Document Number: NAS 1580...
5
5

import dxf to Abaqus
Hi, I have a model in dxf format (points and lines) which I need to import into abaqus to run and fem analysis. Basically, we have a model created from data obtained from laser scanning an object, the...

How does a bottle jack work?
Hi kids: I'm trying to design a foot pump jack for use on hospital gurneys to raise and lower the bed. It's set up just like a bottle jack and is pumped up and then pressing a relief valve lets the...
19
19

Satellite dish wind resistance
I need to modify a sat dish mount and need to work out the horizontal stress on the mount with a 1.2 M dia dish, (very shallow dish) at 150 knots. Need formula for same and basic explanation of...
8
8

Calculating Steam turbine steam flow
At work we derive the steam flow entering the HP turbine stage of a 500MW steam turbine using the following equation: Steam_flow = 735.7 x( 1st Stage steam pressure ) / Sqrt( 1st Stage steam Temp )...
2
2

Strongest non-metallic screws?
Hi: I need to replace some 4-40 stainless steel socket cap screws with non-metallic ones. Nylon is an obvious choice, but I'm not sure if it is strong enough. Any stronger non-metal materials from...
9
9

Holzer method
I would like to analyze a machine I'm designing for the natural frequencies of all the rotating shafts and inertias. We used to do this with the Holzer Tabulation method with many hand calculated...
3
3

Aronhold-Kennedy Theorem
Hello all! Could someone point me to a PROOF of the Kennedy-Arnhold Theorem? "When considering three links - i, j, k - the three instantaneous centers - Pij, Pik, Pkj - are co-linear." I have seen its...
1
1

RF Welding equipment from Europe (27.12MHz)
We offer a full range of HF welders / RF welders and HF/RF Generators and hydraulic presses. _______ _______________ Available HF/RF Welder Machines: :: HF/RF Welders with continuous weld and movable...

Force exerted by a cam
Gentlemen: A radius R round cam rotates around a radius r shaft. The distance between the two axis is E . To the shaft is applied a torque T. Assuming the same friction coefficient between the shaft...
1
1

bow-facing oars
Giovanni da Verrazanno logged that in 1524, he was near Block Island, slowed by heavy seas and unfavorable winds, when 20-man rowed dugouts intercepted him. At first, they kept their distance,...

how to mount VAWT on tapered roller bearing?
I'm making a wind-powered sculpture (powered by a VAWT - ) and I am trying to construct a rotating turntable as the base of the VAWT. I tried a 6" lazy susan bearing but it's loud and there's too much...
6
6

AutoFEA ("JL Analyzer") Finite Element software
Does anybody know anything about the AutoFEA Finite Element software (formaly known as JL Analyzer) from the site below? They offer free trial download but do not respond to e-mail or phone messages...

Boeing 787; in what units has been designed?
Do you think that the ease of conversion between different systems of units now makes it irrelevant what units are used? Or should people strive to convert to SI? I teach a course in Product...
15
15

Airy stress and symmetry
Hi, I am trying to calculate the airy stress function for a cantilever beam with a uniform load acting downward on its upper surface. I am attempting a solution using an Airy function of polynomial...
3
3

Dayton Gear Motor 5K942 vs 5K942D -- Same?
I burned out a Dayton 5K942D and ordered a replacement, clearly specifying the D at the end of the model #. Instead I received a 5K942. I can easily see there's a difference in the wire connections....
1
1

Car tuning - drag coefficient
Hello everyone, - does anyone know if by modifying your car ( adding fibre glass body kits ) this will affect the drag coefficient of your car thus consuming more fuel? thanks Irshaad Could go either...
2
2

Problems with pick-and-place equipment
Would like to know if anyone has experienced doing mech engineering/maintenance work with pick-and-place equipment in a mass-production environment... What are the typical day-to-day activities, and...
1
1