Latest threads in Metallurgy discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Cu/Zn diffusion couple
Anyone here successfully made one of these without access to quartz encapsulation facilities or vacuum/reducing furnace? I hollowed out a Cu rod and put a smaller solid zinc rod in the hole and then...
1
1

Processing of Tungsten
How is tungsten formed into billets or rods? I realize that electrical arcs can reach the requisite 6000 degrees F, but what is used to contain the material? thanks in advance
4
4

Reduction of Chromium and nickel form the oxides
A friend was telling me about a system that burns old tires to generate electricity. The steel belts (stainless steel) which are a problem for people trying to recycle the rubber into new tires, burn...
5
5

Nitralloy 135M
If someone would be so kind as to offer a layman's definition of Nitralloy 135M I would appreciate it. I've googled as best I could and cannot find anything useful. I am primarily interested in its...
3
3

Annealing Database
Hello, I am looking for databases that contain records (at least 1000 cycles) of the annealing process (52100 steel) and the result of that process (e.g. tensile strength, hardness etc. of the...

Cold Roll Coil Steel Hardness
I am cold rolling bi-metal steel coils (Copper Alloy on steelback). My challenge is correlating the finished steel hardness with the percent reduction. I need this to choose the proper steel size to...
1
1

201 Alloy Stainless Steel - Asia .8% Nickel?
Hello - Given current trends with nickel pricing, and thereby stainless steel surcharges, our company is considering a move from 304 to 201. The vendors we're considering (most of them in Asia)...
1
1

Scale resistant coating
I am chasing a polyurethane or epoxy based protective coating that will resist scale adhesion and tolerate temperatures up to 100degC in a synthetic alumina liquor (15% caustic soda with dissolved...

A350 and super duplex
I have been offered needle valves with A350 body, for OS&Y bolting, supplier suggests super duplex bolts instead of L7. Will it represent galvanic corrosion problems ? Thank you,
3
3

Stained aluminum
I have some parts which were machined and cooled with an un-known lubricant. They've got black stains on them, and in some cases a powdery residue. Is there a simple/inexpensive way I can clean them?...
2
2

How to pick the right type of steel.
Hi there. I am (along with my projectgroup) currently working on our 3rd semester project of our industrial engineerin education af the University of Aalborg, Denmark. Our project is to build a crane...
4
4

Multiple-choice materials science tests on the Internet?
Long back someone had posted a URL where there were multiple choice tests of materials science, including metallurgy. Could someone please remind me where these tests are? How old are the questions?...

Request for metallurgy articles
Hello, We at are experiencing visitors looking for metallurgy articles. We would like to extend an invitation for anyone with expertise in the field to add their articles to our directory. What's in...

Corrosion Resistant Steel
Hi guys, I daily machine S80, S130, S143 corrosion resistant steel. Can anyone provide information on these steels i.e. which group they fall into (300 or 400 series), hardness values & whether they...
5
5

Best aluminum alloy for press fit rings and bent tabs
I'm engineering an aluminum light that uses press fit ring spacers to hold seals and components inside a high strength (6061-T6?) 1.5 thin wall (.0625") tube. The spacer rings (unless there is a...