Latest threads in Metallurgy discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Will a tempering salt pot cause decarb?
I'm about to kick on my first salt pot. Its a knife size salt pot and i will use it to temper / austemper many alloys including: 4130, CPM S30V, CPM 52100, 154 CM.. Is there a risk of decarburization...
2
2

sigma phse, need some help plz..
hello I'm a student of Material eng and I'm writing a paper about the sigma phase, i found in a books i read 2 different explanations. in one was written that Ni is inducer of the sigma phase but in...
1
1

Can you weld SS304 to zinc-plated ASTM A53 without corrosion?
We have a product in constant contact with fresh water consisting of 304 thin-wall tubing (0.3 mm thickness) welded to a 304 reducer of about 3mm thickness. We are considering options to lower the...
4
4

Measuring moisture in magnetic material?
I just got involved in a project with a local mining company, and one of the threads involves measuring moisture content. The people working in the project claim that there is no good method to...
2
2

glaze like heat treament coating
Hello, Does anyone now of a product used to coat metal alloy samples before heat treatment to protect them from oxidising. I remember hearing about a powder that the component is dipped into (or...
3
3

Experimental Alloy Question
Hello, Possibly someone here can steer me in the right direction. Over the past few years I?ve been following the progress at Lawrence Livermore Lab concerning the production of Liquid Metallic...
7
7

Steel recommendation , please?
Steel recommendation, please? We are looking for a hardenable steel that will fully harden when brazed at app. 1300 F. Plan B. How close can we come? Thanks, Tom
1
1

austenite transformation during tempering in martensitic steels and a few other questions
If a martensitic steel like W1 is quenched to 350F and then held there to temper, the 50% retained austenite transforms to bainite, see Krauss. However what happens to the austenite if it is tempered...
9
9

31 Dec Carbide Cannons active in The Netherlands
Hello all over the world, 31 Dec 2005 is it time for us great Carbide cannon fom 180 Liters. The pipe is 155 cm and 40 cm round. On our site there is two little Movie's. One from 10 min and the second...

Carbide Cannons in the Netherlands
Hello all over the world, 31 Dec 2005 is it time for us great Carbide cannon fom 180 Liters. The pipe is 155 cm and 40 cm round. On our site there is two little films. One from 10 min and the same one...

Spelter statuary alloy?
Who knows anything about spelter alloy, as commonly used for cheap fake bronze statuary? All I know is that it's either zinc or zinc-based alloy, and that it appeared in the later part of the 19th...
5
5

SPHEROIDIZATION
-- I already posted this at metalworking group, to get more help i am posting here again. hi everyone, i am came across this group while searching for some information. looks like very useful. i have...

Induction melting of steel - melting time calculation
Hi, We're trying to size a small induction melting furnace (similar to those used in the jewelry making industry) for our application and I was wondering if anyone with some experience in this subject...
1
1

Extractive metallurgy of Cr (or Cr2O3)
I'm an uni. student from material science and engineering. Is there anyone who can help me about extractive process of Cr or Cr2O3? I turned the internet upside down but found nothing to be told how...
1
1

Shear Strength
Can anyone direct me to a reference which actually states the general relationship between shear strength and tensile strength? I have been told many times (by people that do this type of testing)...
9
9