Latest threads in Metallurgy discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

metal nomination
I wonder i anyone can help me, or direct me to somewhere I can find information. I recently saw the specification '7075-T6 Aluminium' used in another newgroup messsage. How are metals specified in...
2
2

Separating a Canadian $2 Coin with Liquid Nitrogen?
I have heard the Urban Legend that if you chill a Canadian 2-dollar coin in Liquid Nitrogen, the central brass-coloured part can be pushed out of the surrounding silver-coloured part. If this is true,...
1
1

Brass Strike Electroplate
Hello, I was wondering: 1. Can red brass (85% Cu/15% Zn) be reduced in HCl + H2O2 to produce CuCl2 and ZnCl2 simultaneously? 2. Then if HCl and water is added to bring the pH to say 4.0, could that...

Help req. re: thermal expansion, etc.
Hello, I have something I want to do but I need some tech info. Sorry if this is a dopey newbie question, but I've been unable to glean anything off Google that I can use. What I want to do is use a...
9
9

Gallium as a heat transfer medium.
I had the "brilliant" idea of using liquid gallium as a heat transfer medium between a molybdenum and alumina surface, at up to 1700 deg C. and between a stainless steel and alumina surface at up to...
5
5

Metal Springs in Liquid Nitrogen?
I need to build an apparatus in which a spring is used to press two parts together, then the entire apparatus is immersed in liquid nitrogen. I expect the spring to shrink when cooled, of course, but...
5
5

mar m 247 nickel based superalloy
Hi I'm looking for information on the effect of sour gas and liquid fuel on mar m 247 in a gas turbine engine. Any help is appreciated allan
1
1

Looking for supplier of Ti sponge in Asia or Europe. Thanks
I am looking for a supplier of Ti sponge from Europe, or Asia. If there are anybody could recommend me manufacturing company, plant? Thank you very much. Please, contact me off the listserver by...

news site
ORG for stop pollution emilia romagna italy http://www.castelcrescente.org

re-heat treating old knife blades
I've been having trouble re-heat treating used factory-made knife blades. The problem has been discussed here before but I've got a new-clue and wondering what anyone here might know about it. The...
3
3

Flat or precision ground?
When ordering metal stock online what is the difference of flat ground stock and precision ground stock? Does precision mean a smoother surface or something else?
2
2

Metallurgist in NY are ($/day/hr)?
I was wondering if anyone is, or knows of a metallurgist in the NY area that would be available for a few days for hire. We are a jewelry manufacturing company, and have recently come into a few...
3
3

Can these metals be blended?
That is, iron, brass, gold and silver, to make a huge bell. There's a Chinese story from the 15th century in which it cannot be done until.......The story is called "The Voice of the Bell." See here -...
2
2

Spectroscope for material analysis.
Hello, I am intrested in buying a spectroscope for elemental analysis of various ferrous material to detemine the percentage composition of various elements present in it. I am right now confussed...

pb etching brass
Hello, I have quite a problem with brass etching... Can you believe that ? I am working with Cu-Zn brass, two compositions : 41.1 and 44.1 at% Zn, so they're alpha/beta brass. After polishing, I try...
2
2