Latest threads in Metallurgy discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

High Speed Steel
Does anyone here know of a website where I can order either M2 or M4 HSS in 1/4'' sheet stock. Thanks in advance :-)
8
8

Comment on this corrosion (Link to picture)
The manufacturer of an electrical water still has said that the failure of the heating tube elements in their unit is due to the 3ppm of chloride measured in the RO/DI feed water. I have heard of...
3
3

New CCL in UK
Dear Sir and Maam, I'm looking for the contact point of the following company, Falcon Steel in UK. This company is planning to build new CCL (color-Coating Line) in Newport, South Wales. Following is...

[OT][perhaps] what is the better steel for a sword
I don't know if this is the right newsgroup for this kind of questions. But I wished to ask you which type of steel is better for a sword. Naturally considering the relationship between weight and...
3
3

Recommended Brass/Chrome Plating texts.
Greetings group,..., my first post. I don't anything about this domain, but I'm here. I'm having finishing issues with brass plated steel; my first project. I'm looking for an entry level text...

OFF TOPIC: Are there any metallurgists here who are also homebrewers
Are there any metallurgists here who also brew their own beer? If so, I'd like to invite them to combine their interests and join in a planned discussion of whether it is best to use copper tubing...

Recommended metallurgy texts?.....
Hello, A few days ago, someone on this newsgroup (unfortunately, I don't remember who) recommended a metallurgy text called "Metallurgy Theory and Practice". Is this the book written by Allen, Dell K....
9
9

What does heat treatment cost?
Subject pretty much says it all: What can one expect to pay for various forms of heat treatment (for hardening, not annealing)? I've been under the assumption that any kind of heat-treat is pretty...
13
13

Work hardening, on purpose?
Hi all, Well, you folks are getting the abridged version. I've pared it down quite a bit from what went to Be thankful. Man, I didn't realize just how long that thing was until I saw it come back to...
20
20

Hexavalent chromium
Hi Can anyone of u pls tell me whether the two compositions given belo contains Hexavalent chromium Fe 37 SFS 2766 Fe/Zn 12cYello Fe/Zn 2c 12 Thank Sria
1
1

Steel Mixtures
Hi, I'm a fantasy and science fiction writer, and was recommended to this group for a technical question. Well, maybe 'technical' is stretching things. I've written a bit where snaps and shackles were...
10
10

overheated 316 question
I want to make some rocket parts from 316 stainless by diffusion brazing smaller parts into a larger assembly. The assembly has to have both the cryogenic and high temperature strengths of 316, so...
3
3

Better "Flint & Steel" Wanted (IE. What metal makes good sparks).
I'm looking for a firestarter that will work better than the old "Flint and Steel" from days gone by. What is the best metal I could use for making sparks when struck/dragged against stone? (It needs...
4
4

What are the most common deseases of a metallurgist?
Hi I'm a college student and i need to know what are the most common deseases of a metallurgist. Please i need help for this work, thanks in advance.
10
10

Decarburization during Heat Treatment
Is is possible to have complete decarburization (free ferrite formation) on the surface during heat treatment without any partial decarburisation? The steel in question is SAE 52100 or bearing steel....
4
4