Latest threads in Metallurgy discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

need high aluminum content nickel allow
I need some tubing and round rod made of like 90% aluminum and maybe 5% nickel and 5% iron. Are there any commercial alloys in that ball park? It needs to be light weight and magnetically soft but not...

Q: cryogenic tempering appropriate for my application?
Cryogenic tempering (perhaps not the universally accepted terminology) has been recommended to me as an alternative to induction hardening and/or case carburizing in a pin used in a large thrust...

Zinc Cementation
Does anyone have any thoughts on Zinc Cementation for Thiosulfate? We have played with it. It gets about 70% of the precious metals out on the first pass. We would ultimately get the rest out on...

Ammonium Thiosulfate
We are having some success with leaching sulfide ores with Ammonium Thiosulfate. We are experimenting with a Renovare RenoCell (electrowinning) and zinc cementation/precipitation. Any thoughts on the...

Nonmetallic Inclusions
Hi everybody! I'm currently searching for papers or books about the formation and growth of nonmetallic inclusions in the molten steel during the deoxidisation. I found some interesting articles in a...

Q: How does Manganese promote work hardening in "Hadfield's Manganese"
Steels with large percentages of manganese (14%+) have the unique ability to form a very hard layer on their surface when subjected to impact. The hardening is limited to a thin surface layer and the...
2
2

Resistivity of Cu/Al Alloys
A few years ago, I saw the graph of the resistivity of opper/aluminum alloys, with respect to mole fraction of each species. I remember its shape distinctly, but now I can't find it anywhere, with...
1
1

Resistivity nikel coatings on copper
Hi all I am working on an electric apparatus. I have an interrupter showing strange (high and unstable) electrical resistance between its contacts, all mechanics is ok, the only uncommon aspect is...
5
5

Cognizance 2010-The Annual Technical Festival of IIT Roorkee
The Department of Metallurgical and Materials engineering , IIT Roorkee is glad to invite you to COGNIZANCE =9210- The Annual Technical festival of IIT Roorkee to be held from 26-28 March 2010. The...

Stress corrosion on Al alloy 6082-T6 ?
Hi All I just wanto to ask if someone has ever experienced stress corrosion on Aluminium 6082-T6 alloy. I am working on a strange problem, where I have a component made of this alloy and a breakage...
1
1

Teknik Penjanaan Wang Di Internet
Teknik Penjanaan Wang Di Internet Menjana Pendapatan Berterusan Tanpa Modal Walau Sesen Pun Teknik dapat membantu menjana kewangan bersama 1000%beretika dan menurut peraturan Google[Big G]. Teknik...

Tempering 6061? (was: Welding 6061 weakens it?)
Some in these groups have opine'd that welding 6061-T6 would make it lose its treatment and result in T1. Aging at room temps would bring it to, maybe, T2 after a month. TIG welding will bring the...
15
15

Welding 6061 weakens it?
Lined up a welder to weld a small bit onto a bike frame right at the 1/4 inch plate where the rear wheel attaches to the frame. Once welded, does this weaken the frame at this point? I presume that...
1
1

Zinc-clad primer?
Sherwin-Williams store sells spray paints, one of which is called "Zinc-Clad Cold Galvanize Primer". What is this for? When would one want to choose this over the "regular" primer? Is this an...
4
4

Welding 6061
Have a project which requires 1/4" 6061 plate be welded to 1/16 wall tube 6061. What risk is there of success welding these 2 together? I've read that pre-heating the parts to 400F-plus will minimize...
3
3