Latest threads in Metallurgy discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

carboin Chrome cracking
Hello, i am having a problem with springs made from carbon chrome steel shattering. I think this is caused by a delay in tempering of the spring after quenching. Can anybody point me towardds some...
3
3

Et l'AU4G devint magnétique ! Si si !
. --------------------- Et l'AU4G devint magn=E9tique ! Si si ! Merveilleux ! Voil=E0, c'est enregistr=E9 au dossier de l'imposteur : Mus=E9e des impostures soi-disantes scientifiques. Sous-section...
6
6

Cr film sputtering
Hi, I am having issues with magnetron sputtering of Cr. The chamber and the film seems to have coloration after depositing the film at 3 mTorr and a DC power of 50-100 W. Since the Cr film should look...

Shadowgraph inspection projector
Greetings Ladies and Gentlemen, I work for a Company in the UK supplying replacement parts for industrial Diesel engines. A critical component is the piston ring, where the profile is of extreme...

Distinguish chrome steel from non-chrome steel
A friend who is a collector of military equipment has some canteens from the early 20th century. He is trying to determine if the composition is an ordinary steel with little or no chrome or if it is...
2
2

"Demasking" -- is this a real chemical process??
There is a lot of BS around so called "Black Sands" that some people claim contain huge amounts of gold, platinum, palladium, etc. But they also claim you can't get it out unless you use some...
1
1

Principles of Direct Current Machines (1923)
Principles of Direct Current Machines (1923) By Alexander Langsdorf Additional information and photos of this book are available on this page: Description: McGraw Hill, New York, 1923. Hard Cover....

graphite heater
can anybody tell me requied specifications of power supply for graphite heater? and how can i calculate reguired volt and ampere?
5
5

Manual of Steel Construction (1988)
Manual of Steel Construction (1988) By The American Institute of Steel Construction Additional information and photos of this book are available on this page: Description: American Institute of Steel...

Pure Iron (or ARMCO iron) source (rod or bar) needed (USA)
I'm looking for a few feet of at least 99.5% pure iron rod or bar, any size from at least 1/4" square or round, but not over 1/2" thick. I need it for element collectors looking for pure samples of...
1
1

Smelting - Computer Boards
I am looking for a machine tool that will smelt the output of machines that dismantle computers, mainly the printed circuit boards and motherboards/add on boards. Does anyone know of machine tools...
1
1

Pre-hard machinable steel with highest compressive yield strength
Hi everyone, Can anyone please tell me what machinable pre-hard steel has the highest compressive yield strength ? I'm guessing it would be a pre- hard 4000 series, perhaps 4340 or a bearing steel or...
2
2

Dearmore busted by Operation Sudden Fall
Law enforcement is now intercepting text messages, as proven by Operation Sudden Fall in San Diego. 't let your personal SMS/text messages fall into the wrong hands. Encrypt your messages with one of...

Why is steel the only common carbon alloy?
Is there something special about iron that makes it the only metal you can substantially improve by carburizing? I know many of the other common metals are very chemically different from iron, but it...
4
4

Help on choosing suitable stainless steel
Hi. In the current project I'm dealing with water which has the following specifications (supplied by the client) - PCW Closed Loop On-Going RCP pH 8-11 Conductivity microS/cm
2
2