Latest threads in Metallurgy discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Steel strengths
I'm doing a bit of research for a story, so let me apologize in advance if this doesn't fit the mandate of your groups. I won't repost if I don't get an answer. Thank you, though, for your time in...
19
19

Complete video tutorial how to build a CNC routing machine
I have been logging my CNC router build on my site using video. I have created about 33+ videos on all of the steps throughout the process. It's really easy to build from these videos and I've had...

banding
Hi, i am working with a low alloy steel. When it has been quenched and hot coiled into a spring then tempered i am seeing straw coloured bands in the microstructure. At higher magnification they...
5
5

information
hi all just wanted to let you know of a very useful site that i have found and used. If has 1000's of specifications, photos, documents and videos of machine tools. It abllows you to search on alot of...

Hard Drive Cast Aluminum
I am researching a project from a layman's perspective and was wondering if someone can help me. Problem: to build a puncture press that will push a hole in the cast aluminum and platters of a hard...
9
9

Novice Spring Steel Question
Hi Group, I first of all apologise for my lack of knowledge and details! I manufacture a tape measure type device which has an internal (clock style) return spring. This spring is supplied to us wound...
3
3

Age of weld
Hi all. I would like opinions on the join shown in this picture seems to me that this weld is fairly recent, that is post 19th century and definitively not a hammer weld. Does that seem like a...
17
17

Term definition
I am working on a patent examination and I need to get a formal, metallurgic definision of two terms: bronze braze or brazing Can anyone help me with this? Thanks
4
4

metal color change
I need some advice. I am taking stamped metal parts (nickel silver) and heating them up to about 450 - 500 degrees. Many of them change color from a shiney silver to a bluish color. This is the effect...
3
3

Heat Treating 17-4
We are a medical device manufacturer, machining mostly aluminum & stainless steels (303, 416, 440c and 17-4PH). We send our components outside for heat treat, the vast majority of which is 17-4PH...
1
1

Metallurgy help (jeweler at a loss for a solution)!
Im am posting here hoping that someone would be able to help me with an issue that my company is having. If you have any background in jewelry you will understand the whole issue, if you have any...
9
9

Question about Inconel625 and 316SS
Hello. I'd like to know mechanicals and chemicals differences between Inconel 625 and Stainless Steel 316 (AISI316), expecially for fluoridric acid and chloridric acid (at various percentages). I...
2
2

Car hinges manufacturing process
Hi, I'm doing a research on car hinges (door, hood and tail gate hinges). I've found that there were three different manufacturing processes to built a hinge. Stamping (metal sheets), hot rolled...

welding supervisor
Hi, I'm currently doing a welding supervisors certificate(Structural) in Australia. I have studied like I have never studied before for this upcoming exam, I am hoping somebody out there has done this...
4
4

Gold Thiosulfate Electrowinning
Does anyone know if you can electrowin gold from a Thiosuflate solution? This is very important to me. I would appreciate any help. Thanks, /s/ Tom Milam, Jr.