Subject Author Posted Replies

Whirlwind surgical pump 1930’s
I have a surgical pump. It has an oiler container with a wick. The motor is froze from none operation some 70 years ago. The booklet says if motor is froze pull gauge and pour table spoon of kerosene...
2
2

press or interference fit
I have a question for you more experienced machinist types. I have a bicycle hub fitted with sealed cartridge ball bearings - R8-2rs - so 1.125 nominal OD. This is mounted to a 20 inch rim. I need to...
15
15

Indicator Rod
Dial Indicator Rod On the right side of the head of my manual knee mill there is a rod that sets in clamp in the casting. A simple thumb screw holds it at whatever height you set it. Its pretty short....
3
3

Does this count as Metalworking ?
I recently started reloading .222 Remington after a several year hiatus . Since .222 brass is fairly hard to source and .223 is almost layin' around on the ground everywhere I've been resizing .223...
3
3

Eighth-inch pipe thread puzzle
Did the standard size for one-eighth NPT threads change at some point in the past half century or so? I find myself with a few fittings that don't seem to agree with one another. In one group there's...
3
3

Small compressor mated to model airplane engine
Small IC engines are easy to come by, e.g., for model airplanes, but where to get a matching compressor? Is a compressor from an auto turbo charger a possible source?

Sheldon is 11" lathes
What years were the 11" ks lathes built by Sheldon

Usenet Access
Looks like AIOE might be done. Its been down for a while, and the webpage is down as well. Eternal September is still working fortunately. Hopefully I'm not forced to use Google.
10
10

Non Rellable 1 lb propane tanks
Just wondering if any of you guys has attempted to repurpose a coleman propane tank - the little 1 lb critters - and have cut one open? What thickness is the sheet metal? I need to make a replacement...
3
3

hydrogen solution and diffusion in "A small welding job"
Hi all "Index" note - a sub-conversation started about hydrogen / weld hydrogen and its investigation in the thread which is "A small welding job"
7
7

A little machining project
My neighbor the blacksmith has asked me to help with the hinges for a Hobbit door ... they're round and very heavy . He's forging the strap elements , I'll be machining the hinge elements to be welded...
9
9

Part cracking in impact test IK 08
Hello, We do injection molding for electric counter boxes. i am using a mold with crack in the cooling circuit, so while injecting there is a bit of water coming out of the ejectors, The part seems to...

A small welding job
A neighbor's friend brought a small welding repair over for me . It's an I beam that is the backbone of a PTO powered post hole auger . But that's not what this post is about , this post is about...
45
45

Article - application of "Froude Number" analysing a boat I worked on
Article - application of "Froude Number" analysing a boat I worked on. "Hydrodynamics, Froude number and a clever vessel design" I knew this in late March 2022, but wrote the article on New Year's Eve...
16
16

Three Form Thread Mill ???
Below are CNC applications: I use machine taps in tension compression holders. Functionally like rigid tapping, but with some fudge factor for machines that do not have a C-axis. Typically I run this...
7
7