Subject Author Posted Replies

Three Form Thread Mill ???
Below are CNC applications: I use machine taps in tension compression holders. Functionally like rigid tapping, but with some fudge factor for machines that do not have a C-axis. Typically I run this...
7
7

Burned some flux core today
Finished the wiring changes in the shop yesterday to accommodate the new welder . Today I used it to repair a part for the wood stove . It's immediately apparent this machine is much more powerful...
5
5

coastbilt 8" outside caliper with micro adjustment screw.
Fun and games with search engines. Entered coastbilt 8" outside caliper with micro adjustment screw add -digital -micrometer so of course, the first things are micrometers, digital, electronic...
4
4

Steel Rule
There is a type of cutting stock blade that is just steel strips with a cutting edge. I think its mostly used to make die cutters. I think its basically soft steel with a hardened edge. You cut it in...
2
2

how to drill/mill compund angle
I have a stinker of a project - making a steering axle for a "cart" I need to fit tube for king pins at 15 degree king pin inclination and 15 degree caster. The king pin tube is 7/8" dom tube with...
20
20

New welder !
Well , new to me . Found a Lincoln Weldpak 175 in like-new condition , he was asking $375 I offered $275 and he accepted . It really is like new , contactor tip is clean and so is the nozzle . It also...
58
58

sharpening end mills
I've got a bunch that have chipped tips on the flutes , and I guess it's time I learned to sharpen them instead of tossing them and buying more .I've poked around a little and found a design for a...
27
27

Engine i.d.
I have a old tecumseh engine it had a problem take off shaft but all the number tags are missing and I can't find a set of piston rings to fit piston measures 69mm and the bore in the cylinder is 70mm...
1
1

Custom D-Drill
Any tips for making my own custom D-Drill and getting dimensions right other than sneak up on it, test it, and try again? I often drill hing pins on gravity casting molds with 3 operations. They are...
6
6

thoughts test-sample X-ray ali welds
Hi all Comments? This is for the Ali welding idea. Is essentially an all-weld-metal testpiece, but reasonably realistic for thermal cycle, the welding condition the welder was presented with making...
8
8

??? Actually a STUB length carbide 1/2 in end mill ???
Actually a STUB length carbide 1/2 in end mill. I have a couple small high speed milling machines. They are not ever going to be able to handle a heavy cut with a 1/2 inch end mill, but being able to...
10
10

Biggest Tool For Small (FAST) Spindles - 24K
What is the largest tool you run routinely on your high speed 24K spindles in aluminum. For me I do run (extra short) 1/2 inch spot drills and chamfer mills at high speed, but my tool of choice for...
4
4

What is Hot Short?
Its something I have read a couple times about the non-weldability of some alloys. Particularly those that have additives for better machineability like 1144.
3
3

tight fitted top jaws
The top jaws on the 6" 6-jaw CME (Sanou) chuck I received are VERY tight in the main jaws, enough to need a plastic hammer to remove. I've been sanding them down with a square backing bar as the guide...
6
6

freezer temp swing
Had a bad moment a couple of nights ago when our small chest freezer malfunctioned . It's down in the cellar and doesn't get checked often so we don't really know how long it was offline . A lot of...
16
16