Subject Author Posted Replies

Dear Midwest Steel Supply
On December 29th I sent an email to asking about lead time on some metal. This is what I asked, "If I order 4 pcs 1/2 x 6 x 72 aluminum flat rectangular bar today when will it ship" I have since...
13
13

Aluminum Flat Bar
Stocking up (for me). Order came to just over 600 pounds. A little less than 3.40 per pound delivery included. For more reasons than one I wish I could order this quantity every time I need aluminum....
14
14

Moisture in 7018
When this popped up in my video feed I immediately thought of Richard's posts about water running off of 7018 rod. In this episode we tackle welding with completely soaked 7018s on 3/8th plates to see...
9
9

Sizing stop drill holes
Are there any general rules of thumb for sizing the holes used to stop cracks? As a guess, I'd imagine the material thickness is the lower limit and anything bigger than five to ten times the...
12
12

OT: Old Tow Strap
Other then pulling metal out of the sand (or mud) this is not a metal related post. You can see pictures here: ’m looking for an old strap I bought about 30 years ago. I actually bought three of...
8
8

Metalworking , sorta
I'm finally getting around to changing out the gears in my truck axle . The "metalworking" part is that I have to make a device to hold the drive line yoke while I torque the nut . The rest is just...
37
37

Bi-metal bench block
My friend the jeweler did me a real solid on my wife's Christmas gift , and I want to do something for him . Jewelers can never have too many bench blocks , and I'd like to make him a sorta special...
10
10

MIL-46100 is not adequate to be used in body armor
Subject line is a quote from an Western District of Arkansas US District Court ruling[*] dated yesterday, although it isn't any main finding, just an "undisputed fact" for legal purposes. The main...

blasting smallish tunnels in hard rock
Anyone here know about blasting person-height&width tunnels in hard rock? I have some contacts here (UK), but broadening the casting around for information. Maybe bringing in North American...
118
118

fillet size and productivity - maring civils construction site
For what it's worth - did another webpage, on what was actually a significant experience to me... "Fillet weld - size - area and metal deposited" I both contributed and learned. Lots of consulting...
2
2

Fixturing for machining teflon rings
I'd like to machine a few (2 or 3) teflon gasket rings out of quarter inch sheet stock. The ID needs to be roughly 50 mm, the OD about 60 mm and thickness that of the stock. The only critical...
24
24

collet chuck plans
I've decided to make a collet chuck , haven't yet decided whether to go ER32 or ER40 ... anybody got a link to plans ? I know some of the dimensions and angles , but not exact diameters etc . This...
9
9

Re: Pot Metal...how to solder?
Hello all. I realize that this is a very old post, however much better than any type of glue or even solder is welding. Yes, welding pot metal is very possible - I do it on a daily basis. You see, I...
2
2

Padded Platen Part 2
I may still add a "soft" pad to the platen on a sander, but recently I order new bench top belt grinders. a 1x42 and a 1x30 similar to my Harbor freight one. Then when ordering some belts for the 1x42...
4
4

Best taps 2-56 sti & 4-40 sti for G11
What taps work best tapping 4-40 and 2-56 in G11 material. We have 1400 hole of each size to tap. Looks like Harvey Tools have a good drill for this. Just can't figure out the taps