Subject Author Posted Replies

Call for more security cameras
Republican pundits on yesterday's talk shows were calling for more security cameras in the wake of the capture of the Boston bombers with much help from the security cameras that caught them in the...

Blacken Stainless Steel Patina Darken Metal Finishes
I've tried some retail store cold bluing products on cold & hot rolled steel parts, and have seen the sketchy results which weren't impressive. I was looking for a cold method to darken a small...
24
24

proff of concept test and consumer level service suggestion
I am looking for someone with access to plasma or flame spray to test a concept. I recently bought a magnetic induction hot plate [not NuWave - FWIW s/h costs for the second "free" NuWave unit and...
3
3

Light box for object photography
Anyone have any good suggestions for types of lightboxes for product photography? I do NOT have a hip slick and cool digital SLR, and even the external strobe connections are a bastard. Id like to...
141
141

Form tap geometry
Awl -- I've taken to form tapping aluminum (cnc rigid tapping mode), and have noticed a wide variety of geometries in these taps. The name-brand form taps I have (Nachi, Emuge) almost look like cut or...
10
10

Interesting little knife:
I just received mine and its a very! handy little utility blade. Ill be checking the RC on it next week when I go back south..but so far..it sharpened as easily as D2 can be sharpened (expect to spend...
15
15

Outside metal rod
Looking for 1/4" metal rod I can thread. These will be attached to wood so rusting or staining can be a problem since they will be outside. Got a piece of stainless, the softess I could get but it is...
33
33

OT agent problem
My young nephew was sitting on my lap a week back while I was surfing RCM... He clicked something somewhere and I no longer have the three panes with folders, message list and the message body on the...
13
13

Proper way to lift new nitrogen storage tank
My company is getting a nitrogen generating system next month. Parts are beginning to arrive. This morning our nitrogen storage tank came in, laying down and strapped to a long pallet. It is 6 ft....
19
19

Machetes
One of the better videos Ive seen on using the machete Gunner, cleaning up his yard sale finds from last weekend A early Collins pre war and a big Hansa The machete is a Jack-of-all trades tool for...
5
5

How the heck do you weld around a circumference?
Hello, I am working on an exercise contraption that has a number of pieces of horizontal pipe, welded on the main structure, which provide a convenient place to hang the weight plates when they are...
32
32

CNC video display problem: DFP video cable extension
Awl -- I had to relocate the pendant on a Haas GR-510 cnc gantry mill, which required extending 4 cables, one of them a 26-pin DFP cable, an apparently old-style video cable. A pic of the control...
20
20

Hardinge HLV-H gear box bearing callouts?
I started reinstalling the bearings Id bought nearly 8 months ago or more in the headstock gear/threading box..and discovered..Id bought 12 bearings of the wrong size. Sigh...close..but..not close...

What is it? Set 489
I have the answers for the first and fifth items this week, I need help on the other four: Rob
29
29

Boston Bomb triggered by cell phone?
Speculation is that the bombs were set off by cell phone. I wonder if a cell signal would penetrate the metal of a pressure cooker. Mine barely works in my metal shop building; with the doors open....
115
115