Subject Author Posted Replies

Strange steel that is very hard to cut with a bandsaw
My small bandsaw with a Starrett blade works extremely well to cut regular steel. I have been cutting a lot of 4-6 inch rouds without a problem. Everything else, that looks funky, I test with a file...
16
16

Rigid Conduit vs Regular Iron pipe
Can any one tell me what the difference between rigid conduit and iron pipe? inner finish threads on the pipe and in the fittings and any other significant differences. TIA CP
38
38

How to build a file rack?
Im going through drawers and tool boxes and dug out my files. A good 75 or more of them, Mill files, knife files, rasps, half round, triangular, square, cant mill bastards etc etc Ive been keeping...
106
106

Video of a cutting tool removing metal
Cool.
1
1

any reasons not to use a flycutter as hole saw?
I've got one of these little things for size, the arbot is morse #1 and drawbolt is 1/4-20 Is there a reason NOT to use it as hole saw of sorts and cut holes in aluminum sheet that's just a tad under...
18
18

What is it? Set 482
This week's set has been posted: Rob
12
12

Astronomer
Margaret Campbell-Brown, an astronomer at Canada's University of Western Ontario, says that the Russian meteor was "56 feet (17 meters) across, weighed more than 700,000 tons and was moving about 18...
29
29

The Ante of Design..... and whoyakidding's delusions....
Awl -- I thought the subthread with the semi-asstute-but-still-deluded Whoyakidding should get its own thread, cuz it's a really important topic, imo butt another facet of Le Pubic's Global...

WTB upper half of a Clausing mill
I have a base, column, table etc. Missing is everything that sits on top of the column. I am looking for a milling head and the support pieces that I can adapt to this base. If I can find a head I can...
12
12

sharpen a pencil sharpener?
The discussion about sharpening taps in the "old taps and dies, worth anything?" thread brings to mind a question of mine. I've got a couple of old planetary style pencil sharpeners which tend to chew...
14
14

How much extra HP from burning nitro?
So I was wondering, from a post here about a bone stock engine running nitro methane instead of gasoline, how much extra horsepower could a stock engine produce just by changing fuels from gas to...
95
95

Stages of a proposal
I went to one of my regular, but occasional customers, last week. They have a CNC machine, the fluid cooler isn't working properly. The stages of the proposal seem to be: Shop guy calls me out, and...

Hammer ID marks?
Ive been cleaning up my tools, putting new handles on the (rather large) number of hammer heads Ive aquired over the last few years..and was cleaning up a 4lb shop hammer head and noticed it was...
4
4

How to set up a frequently used bandsaw
I am foreseeing a project that will see a lot of bandsawing. Right now my setup has a bandsaw, a T shaped support on one side, and the cutoffs fall into a wooden box. I am not really satisfied with...
8
8

Dies
Enerpac makes or used to make a press for just that. Thet show up on ebay from time to time. Best Regards Tom.
3
3