Subject Author Posted Replies

COst of steel at metal suppliers
If I was to buy steel at a metal supplier, in the quantity of a ton or so, how much would it cost per lb? I mean metal such as hot rolled rounds 1-3 inches thick, 4140, rectangular solid stock etc. I...
52
52

Fabricating with cold rolled
cold rolled does heat treat, forget all that. For welding, my goto rod is 7011 stick. Deep penetration. I often switch to 7018 after the first pass to build it up for multiple pass welding. From what...
5
5

Repeatability of box break?
Forgive me if don't do a good job painting this picture in words: Picture a piece of 18- or 16-gauge aluminum, bent in a square "U" shape. The arms of the "U" have holes in them that need to be at...
7
7

Keeping cats off wife's car in garage
My wife has an 07 escape. We have cats that stay in the garage. They always get on the hood of the car, especially it seems after it is cleaned. Anyway, short of getting rid of the cats, is there...
32
32

What is it? Set 479
A new set has been posted: Rob
11
11

Welding a Bike Frame
Super-vid. Bike frame welders are the crem de la crem of tig welders, very skill/knowledge intense. This guy on weldingtipsandtricks is ossum.... his vids are a welding web-treasure, excellent tig...
5
5

Cheap and dirty traverse for winding wire on a spool
I get flat wire on 20" x 6", 12" core wooden spools. Sometimes they are wound poorly or I need lighter spools for a repair machine. I remember reading a post years ago about a traverse for winding. I...
17
17

Electric cars head toward another dead end
Nothing like stating the blindingly obvious and then representing it as if it's some sort of revelation. Tom
52
52

the end is near -- get d'em guns loaded and ready to strike

Small glory hole
Kt, I gave the small glory hole a coating of Zircon before I left so hopefully dry and ready to go tomorrow. The heat lamp seems to have failed, maybe the bulb, or I would have left it to the dry the...
4
4

heavy duty whip air hose
When I first got my Fairmont limb lopper air pruners twenty years ago, they came with a heavy duty swivel air whip hose with a wire spring reinforcement at the metal to rubber hose junction. They...
5
5

OT: CAD station or Usenet outpost?
18
18

Dimensionally Stable Metal
I haven't gottena all of the particulars worked out yet, but I am working on designing a camera stand and trying to decide on the best material to make most of it out of. I'm not trying to reinvent...
27
27

Windfarms break energy record in Spain
~50 years ago I worked on supervision of construction of an earth dam over limestone bedrock. the underlying bedrock waqs pressure groutedwith a mixture of portlnd cement, fly ash and water to provide...
8
8

Air tank cannons
Acet/O2. Its gonna be far cheaper to fire repeatedly. And if its pointed upwards..really doesnt need the beach ball. Black powder is about $20-25 a pound these days IRRC..which gives you about a 16-32...
15
15