Subject Author Posted Replies

Post fab treating
Steel won't work very well for this application. It will quickly deform. as mentioned cast iron is the ideal. pretty hard for the home shop type to do. Stainless steel, #304, in a suitable thickness...
2
2

Finding Local Hobbyist/Machinists
I'm in the NYC area and wanted to ask if there is a go-to site for getting in touch with local hobbyists who may be able to do small projects. (As opposed to going around looking for forums to make...
1
1

Any Farmers Here?
I'm not... however, came across this interesting 1954 farming video: Some of that equipment looked pretty impressive... can only imagine how the technology had matured through the years. Erik
4
4

SR44 batteries
Several years ago I read an article a gentleman had written explaining the benefits of the SR 44 batteries over the LR 44 ones. Ever since then, when I have tried to buy SR 44 batteries, the AD...
5
5

Gingerly getting into manufacturing
In the last couple of months, I have tried getting my feet wet with "manufacturing". Of course, I am fully aware that I cannot compete on the global market making, say, cheap tin can openers. However,...
55
55

OT: NRA funds $100m lawsuit against Newtown
Only in America comes to mind. A child who survived the Newtown shooting has commenced proceedings against the state for failing to protect her, the NRA is reported to be funding the litigation to...
1
1

So? Who'se Next For Grey's Wood Chipper?
Smithers, what's wrong with these people? Why don't they want to try your Gay friend's woodchipper? Perhaps we need to release the Hounds......

Hardinge DV-59 Turret issues
Anyone got a manual for th turret that goes on the DV-59 lathe? I need an adjustment document. In normal operation..the handle brings the turret forward on the slide, then as it returns..it cams the...

Controlling Thermal Growth
I sell to customers all the time who need to hold tolerances of 0.001" or so while drilling, milling, reaming, etc. This is not extremely difficult when you are talking about a single spindle device....
18
18

WTB/WTT/WTB Nmtb 40 AND 30 boring head shanks
Needed: 1 1/2-18 to fit a large Criterion boring head I snagged a near new #203 Criterion boring head, but it was on R8 taper and I dont have a machine under power in R8. In fact..Ive got at least 3...

colchester chipmaster continental gear box
Hi I have a problem with the g/box and require 27T/30T/ gear i'ts part no.1547. Item no.41 page 17 on the instruction manual.I need to replace it.

"IIRC"?
What does "IIRC" stand for? I have seen term used on "Basic Machinist Tool Lists". Thanks, Tom Zumann
5
5

What is it? Set 473
I need some help with the fourth and sixth items this week: Rob
24
24

Kinda OT: Electrical Problem on New Ford
The car is a 2000 Escort ZX2. The problem is that at RPMs above an idle, the battery light comes on. I checked things out with a voltmeter, and indeed, when the engine is running fast the voltage at...
17
17

Gun manuals for nearly every firearm on the planet
There are a bunch of them.... The methodology of the left has always been: 1. Lie 2. Repeat the lie as many times as possible 3. Have as many people repeat the lie as often as possible 4. Eventually,...