Subject Author Posted Replies

New life for an old lathe
I've got a lathe. An old one. It's a Stark jeweler's lathe, uses #3 (sometimes called 3SS) collets, and it was old when granddad bought it. Probably made 1890 +/- a decade or so. It's still mainly...
12
12

Toluene
"Aviation fuel verses Toluene: Aviation gas is less dense than most racing gasoline. Instead of weighing about 6.1 to 6.3 pounds per gallon like racing gasoline, it weighs 5.8 to 5.9 pounds per...
7
7

OT - Jobs lost
Notice the jobs lost before Nov. 6th, at the most 1 place per day. Yesterday, 17 places cutting jobs, many others closing, the day before 15 places cutting jobs, others closing. Thanks Voters - We...
2
2

What is it? Set 467
I need some help with the third and fifth items this week: Rob
73
73

Kit Guns
I "assembled" several kit guns when I was younger. Both Navy and Army style revolvers, a couple Kentucky pistols, a Remington pocket pistol, and a few long guns including a Pennsylvania rifle, and a...
11
11

Craigslist costs now
They've been charging for job ads in some cities since 2004 according to Wikipedia, but they've been gradually expanding the number of cities in which they charge. Recruitment ads are how they make...
2
2

employment chart from the BLS
Here is the latest employment chart from the BLS.... It's interesting to note that more people are gainfully employed today than during Bush's entire first term.
5
5

Mounting Conundrum
So, I'm working on a gizmo to go with a series of control systems training seminars that I'm putting on. The gizmo is basically a fan on a pivoted stick, with a control system that works to maintain...
22
22

Petition to succeed?
Texas, and 18 other states? Interesting... The Lone Star offering (the handiwork of an Arlington resident named ?Micah H?) reads as follows: We petition the Obama Administration to peacefully grant...
14
14

Splash Shield - Enclosure
How are you managing coolant spray on your CNC knee mill? The work on the KMB1 is progressing with most things figured out and my largest limitation being time available to work on it. I'll be adding...
6
6

China mold (?) doesn't quit run right?
This might be the reason:- Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
7
7

Harbor Freight ad spoofs
Hilarious! http://hooniverse.com/2012/09/24/truth-in-advertising-hazard-fraught-tools/
31
31

On Topic: Purpose built soldering machine
The elections are over and it is time to get back to some on topic discussions. I am looking to put together a purpose built soldering machine and I want to pick your brains. I have a 6"x8" piece of...
11
11

STP Secure Trading Post
I should have used STP Trading Post for all and every purchase.
1
1

What to look for and what to avoid in a hobby lathe or milling machine
It's been 30 years since I last used a lathe or milling machine. I now need something that can do small scale machining (2 to 40 mm) of fibreglass/epoxy and the occasional bit of stainless steel. Slow...
5
5