Subject Author Posted Replies

fender supports
OK guys, I have a question for you metal gurus. I am building a replica of a Briggs and Stratton or Smith Flyer. It uses 20 inch wheels (Bicycle) and bike fenders. I would like to mount the fenders...
5
5

Glue Solvent - 3 Second Hole Shot - Yeah, I Acquired Another One
Short (only 45 seconds) video: real metal working content. I did some metal working on this one for the previous owner, but don't have any planned for myself right now. Not a lot of metalworking...
2
2

Rhythmic vibration at certain speeds
And for a while now I thought it was a worn rubber bushing on the rear axle lateral stabilizer rod because when I turned left it got worse but on right curves it disappeared . But today I did some...
57
57

Bending C Channel - Tips, Tricks, Simple and Elegant, Complex but Cheap?
I need to make a couple boat trailers... Of course I can pie slice and weld, but I'd prefer to bend. Professional trailer members are bent (well except the really small stuff or the really big stuff)....
9
9

wood stove overnight - thx snag
Hi there Think thread was something like "electic" - lost it. Anyway - Snag; thanks for commenting about large log which will just fit in the stove for keeping in a fire overnight. I asked about that...
5
5

Learn something new all the time
At the second hand store another customer was buying lathe equipment so I asked him about trouble I'd had parting and he told me to set the blade about 0.020" below center instead of trying to exactly...
11
11

Today's Metal Working Content
I've been working on a dead man's boat for a while now. Before he died he asked me to take it away. I might have told the back story here before so I'll try to make it short. My buddy Gary tried to...

Electrical
In my process of adding an EV charging station I had wanted to add another 20 amp 220V outlet for occasional use of other 220V equipment in the garage. (band saw, radial arm saw, non business CNC...
38
38

Acetylene leak, BOOM!
Hi, Interesting news article on the power of leaking acetylene😬 OTTAWA COUNTY, MI – Police believe a leaking cutting torch stored in a vehicle’s trunk caused an explosion early Wednesday...
18
18

Honing cylinders
Interested in details. Jim W. responded on thread "Re: Oldies but goodies Re: deburring inside drilled tubing?" " When I was hunting for low cost used components to build my bucket loader the owner of...
10
10

Every Man in The Room Thinks He's The Smartest Man In The Room
I first heard this from one of those talking heads on the radio. Well, it was radio. I guess it could have been a talking butt hole. It can say with 100% certainty. Anyway, as I recall it they were...
8
8

Lifting Don's well cover
Hi Don, I had great plans for you to be a new government official after The Cull. But I hadn't seen any sign of you for years prior to my recent move, so I was kinda hoping you'd preceded me here. Oh...

simple shop made hydraulics?
Anyone here ever made simple shop-made hydraulics? I do have a pretty decent lathe (Enterprise 1550) and I'm a not-half-bad home shop machinist after decades of very slow learning whilst creating lots...
25
25

I feel better -
- after learning that the crawling in rust and sweating over stuck bolts that I'm doing under the old car is worth $160 an hour.
5
5

how you knew beam deflect vs stress
Jim - lost previous thread. You used that formulation for beam deflection in relation to beam *stress*... For a "simple beam" (like a plank bridging two points) deflection = sigma.L^2 / 6.E.H sigma =...
9
9