Subject Author Posted Replies

Linear encoders
In previous posts I've mentioned that I'm pushing to replace relay logic control systems on some machines with PLCs. The more I think about the advantages, the more advantages I see in increased...
24
24

Size of cutoff blade for BXA tool holder
Teach me about cutoff blades. The slot in the BXA size holder measures 5/8" (actually 11/32") so it could take a 5/8 by 1/8 cutoff tool, but it would be nice to use a narrower cutoff blade. What's the...
4
4

My PLC Programming
of the machines I programmed 9 years ago. This wasn't one of the more difficult programs I done but it was a small machine with a lot going on, we got it running in the shop, where I could video it,...
14
14

McChrystal fired
How is it possible that there hasn't been a single mention of this in this group of opinion spewers? Do you armchair generals, lawyers and politicians really have nothing to say? Just wondering.
94
94

Roll Pins?
I took apart the old rip fence for my Shopsmith after upgrading to the latest model. They used a number of small roll pins, and it occured to me that I could use them in some of my own designs. The...
7
7

Tubing Bender -- Real Metalworking for the Day
Tubing bender, for insanely small (5/32" or so) radii on 3/32" tubing. Done yesterday evening and this morning, mostly from scrap: slot in the bending post is made with a cutoff tool, with (obviously)...
5
5

Hobart handler 135 mig
What is the thickest material a person can weld with this? I have co2/ argon mix and .024 wire, but can use up to .035 wire. It is a 110 unit.
35
35

Metal stregth question
Hi, I am not an engineer but trying to understand bolt strgth, tensile strength og steel and some other varribles for something I am wanting to construct. I am wanting to build a car dolly and/or dual...
17
17

Metalworking Twitter Categories
...Just now learning the whole #... thing on Twitter. Wondering if there are any metalworking or similar categories out there that you folks know of. For instance, I just "Tweeted" that we quoted some...
2
2

Rust-lick 50-50?
Awl -- Seems to be the WD40 of soluble oils, these days. Good choice? Economical choice? No demanding machining, for a Fadal, 30 gal reservoir. Cheap sources? Traverse (in NY) wants about $135 for a 5...
9
9

HSS / Carbide drill bits - telling apart?
Needless to say no original packing. Sub-mm bits with 1/8 inch shanks. Other than by breaking easily, using hand drill rather than pedestal. Would carbide just make a small grinding disc skitter...
17
17

OT trapped a raccoon
Instead of that woodchuck, we trapped a raccoon (according to someone at home, I have not seen it yet). What should I do with this MF? Release or speedy trial/execution for trespassing? If I am to...
35
35

OT: Webcam/powdercam works well!
I mounted this cheap lighted webcam on a reloading press to be able to "see" the powder charge in each shell. The LEDs are light blue and almost make the powder glow. I have a big monitor behind the...
13
13

Vac chamber for degassing
Getting ready to cast new bumper finials for the Roadster. They are the rubber trim pieces the rear bumper ends fit into on the body. Have my plugs and molding boxes ready. I need a small vac chamber...
26
26

Injection Mold Video
Ok... the video is technically not metal working, but I used a lot of metalworking techniques learned in this newsgroup to get to the point where I could shoot this video. I thought one or two of you...
16
16