700° F

Or thereabouts , and the weld didn't crack as it cooled . I used one of my foundry/forge burners today to heat up that CI fire pot that had me frustrated the other day , and sucessfully repaired the crack . After the repair I wrapped it in fiberglass batt to cool slowly , didn't melt the 'glass . The Invar 42 Dan sent me worked flawlessly . It even looks like a pretty decent TIG weld . After I finished that piece I built up a small firebrick enclosure for the fire grates and did a short test preheat to make sure I wasn't blowing flames out where I didn't want them . In the morning I'll fire up the burner on low and gradually heat them up to about the same temp as the part today . Hmm , better finish veeing out the cracks first ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

The Invar 42 Dan sent me worked flawlessly . It even looks like a

Glad to hear it worked well. When I saw it at Boeing Surplus, I thought it might work for cast iron. And at a dollar a lb. seemed like it might be worth getting.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster