Subject Author Posted Replies

Auction stuff - what is it?
I got a bunch of stuff in an auction yesterday - mostly what looks like parts for a miniature lathe. However, some of the items are a bit of a puzzle. Here are the pictures: descriptions are with the...
6
6

Do you call that "deflation"?
''... the Commerce Department reported that inflation was at 4.2 percent in September compared with a year ago, down slightly from the 4.5 percent annual gain in August. Outside of food and fuel...
35
35

Sheet metal notchers
I didn't bid high enough for a nice 45 degree iron Pexto notcher and am considering a Malco like this have one? I am curious if it will hold up to cutting .060 6061 T-6 (rated max .035), or if its a...

WTB: Powermatic Drill Press Raising Mechanism
Picked up an old Powermatic drill press with 3" column, looking for a table raising/lowering mechanism..... TIA Marty
15
15

WTB: Truck Connecting Rods w/3" Big End
Anyone know where I can try to find old truck piston connecting rods with a 3" or just under large end? I'm looking for a couple of them.... Thanks Marty Mesa, AZ
1
1

Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
I spotted this on Craigslist within driving distance from me. Comes with the torch, pedal, self dimming mask, etc, but no gas cylinder. Listed at $1500 which probably isn't a real bargain. In doing a...
6
6

OT: The new Durflame "logs"
Wife brings home a carton of Duraflame "logs" for the fireplace. Here in south Florida you want a cozy fire about two nights per year, and storing real firewood invites termites, so we put up with...
33
33

Enviro chamber liquid CO2 question?
Hi all, I hope I'm not too way off base here in asking for advice, but you guys seem to know everything!! :-) Boss at work bought a $99.00 environmental chamber and told me to "make it work". ( this...
24
24

6" 4 Jaw chuck Backplate
Hi, I just bought a 6" 4 Jaw independent chuck for my Myford ML7, but I can't get a backplate around here. What steel would you suggest I use to make one? I was thinking along the lines of 4140, but...
9
9

What is this tool for?
The local used refrigerator store had a cleanup the other day and put some things out in front marked "free". I brought home this tool because it looked like it may be useful. It's made by the Watsco...
4
4

JB weld
I posted pics for another discussion, so might as well spread some weirdness here too. I didn't have access to a TIG welder at the time, or funds to pay someone. I actually JB welded an aluminum cyl...
6
6

OT? Metal or plastic bucket for man lift
I'm building a portable elevator to mount on my tractor's 3-point hitch so I can reach into trees, etc. It will be based on a Genie SuperLift 24 which is rated for 24' overhead lift 0f 640#. I want...
8
8

folded steel?
i wonder, what actually makes folded steel better? Evil overlord of
7
7

water heater element
I picked up a 4500 watt 208 water heater element today cheap. I need to make a steem generator for wood bending and was thinking of using this element in a tank. My calcs say it would draw 21.6 amps...
11
11

1 in 10 mortgages delinquent or in foreclosure
Even as the Fed reduced its benchmark interest rate to 1 percent, the White House was weighing a plan to slow the foreclosure epidemic in the housing market.
3
3