Subject Author Posted Replies

Can a hard bearing ball be welded to mild steel
The application is to make a turning handle for a vise, of a mild steel rod 9/16 in diameter, and two hard bearing balls 1" in diameter. Obviously, this is not a critical weld and strength...
27
27

how are u all?
Nice meeting you online?

Sizing a vent?
Hello, I have a box that needs to be force vented. I have a woodwork dust extractor and I want to size the vent for 450cfm throughput. I have no idea of the speed of the air flow with the extractor...
7
7

Macho keyboards
It is certainly "entertaining" to see such "real" Macho guys standing there keyboard to keyboard and saying things that they couldn't say face-to-face. Especially on a "metalworking" NG. It takes me...
7
7

Moving heavy machines
Since there seems to be alot on this subject lately, I'll add this, spent the weekend moving machines around my shop. Bought a set of these machine skates from ebay Item number: 350099092584 About 1/4...
14
14

Another Defective Metal Product
Dave ItemFix - Social Video Factory
16
16

Too good to be true?
This is the cheapest milling machine I have seen so far: anyone got some experience with it? Any comments on the specs? I suspect someone will recognize it as an equivalent of a similar piece of...
22
22

Pinging Tom Gardner
Tom, Send an e-mail to your company looking for a recommendation for a brush.... maybe you can help me out in selecting what I need. Thanks. Ken.
4
4

Need wire mesh rounds in Stainless Steel
I'm looking for a quote on mesh wire rounds of the the size below for a business acquaintance. They're looking at an inital purchase of 1,000 or 2,000 pieces. 3.25 inch diameter mesh rounds 40x40 mesh...
6
6

OT: The US export business
OT: Columbia exports cocaine, Afghanistan exports opium. The US exports derivatives...... Why the "troubled assets" [CDOs] in TARP may *NEVER* recover. [PS - The Ponzi bonds didn't either.]...

OT: How you are taking it in the shorts at the state and local level
They're gaining on us.... OT: How you are most likely also taking it in the shorts at the state and local level via interst rate swap derivatives. While the bailout at the national level by the...
1
1

10ee VFD mounting
Those of you who have retrofitted a VFD on their 10EE, where did you put it? I am thinking about putting it inside the casting, just because it will be a neater final solution. But the end where the...
7
7

Threaded 5/16" rod breaks under high torque?
I applied torque to a 5/16" threaded steel rod purchased from Lowe's, using a 36 V cordless drill on its high torque setting. The rod twisted apart, it broke. Should I be concerned about that when...
1
1

Shortening length & girth of large HSS drill bits
I have a selection of large MT2-3 HSS drill bits that I would like to shorten (to remove the MT) and turn down to approx 13mm diameter to fit in my lathe tailstock chuck. Is this feesable? How easy...
4
4

LPG burner questions for the gurus
I've got a couple of gas appliances which currently run at 50mBar input regulated pressure. To comply with a local law I need to operate them at 30mBar. I can buy a 30mBar regulator no problem....
4
4