Subject Author Posted Replies

Threaded 5/16" rod breaks under high torque?
I applied torque to a 5/16" threaded steel rod purchased from Lowe's, using a 36 V cordless drill on its high torque setting. The rod twisted apart, it broke. Should I be concerned about that when...
1
1

Shortening length & girth of large HSS drill bits
I have a selection of large MT2-3 HSS drill bits that I would like to shorten (to remove the MT) and turn down to approx 13mm diameter to fit in my lathe tailstock chuck. Is this feesable? How easy...
4
4

LPG burner questions for the gurus
I've got a couple of gas appliances which currently run at 50mBar input regulated pressure. To comply with a local law I need to operate them at 30mBar. I can buy a 30mBar regulator no problem....
4
4

Setting up a Clausing lathe on three 4x4s
I have finally moved things around the garage so that my SO can use half or it, and I can use another half of it. The Clausing is now set up in a very convenient (for access) location. I want to set...
6
6

Basic CNC Where to Start
I've spent much of my spare time this weekend reading on-line about various CNC type operations in wood and metal. Looks like for big stuff in metal you gotta chunk out about ten grand to start for a...
4
4

Cincinnati Hydrashift lathe hydraulic shifter
I recently picked up a Cincinnati 12.5" hydrashift lathe. I'm upgrading from years of use with belt driven lathes to a gear driven lathe. I have yet to hook it up because it has a 5hp motor in it and...

WTD: Old Delta 1/2hp Motor
Looking for an old Delta 1/2hp 3450rpm motor. I believe the body is 6" in diameter. 3 phase ok...Cheap better! :-) Marty
14
14

Moving a bridgeport
Gentlemen, Early next week I will depart on a 580 mile odyssey to fetch home my new bridgeport mill. Thanks to Iggy (Thanks, Iggy!!!) I have a copy of a bridgeport operation and maintenance manual....
16
16

Pipe dimension
I was looking up dimensions of steel pipe. I found a few tables with figures. Here is what puzzles me: Take a 3/4 pipe: ID=20 mm. OD=26.7 mm. This is the same for about five different pipes listed....
14
14

PowerTwist Plus belts on Delta table saw
Slowly I am cleaning up my father's old Delta power saw. The V-belt it came with had to be 50 years old, and vibrated badly. The replacement from the local auto parts store was a lot better, but still...
3
3

New shop photos
--Ifyawanna have a look at my shop in a state of maximum disarray here's the link: --A pal of mine did these with a Canon S5-1S. --Reason for mess: it was the day B4 I left for Burning Man, heh.
4
4

OT: Delta Queen
The great paddlewheel turned the Ohio River water to a froth as the Delta Queen steamboat, a floating National Historic Landmark, departed Cincinnati, Ohio, on its final scheduled voyage this week.

Transmission design
I have a vague memory of reading about rules that govern the design of pulley and belt transmission, specifically the optimum distance between centres of the pulleys and the maximum recommended ratio...
6
6

hard black plastic?
I need to make some new idler wheels for my wire EDM. The material is a very hard black plastic. Maybe the same stuff you see on a car electrical distributor. It needs to be non-conductive and be able...
33
33

Bare metal treatments
I want to do some projects involving leaving metal bare. But, I do want to heat it up to get some rainbow effects, as well as some other discoloration techniques to get various effects. Two questions...
3
3