Subject Author Posted Replies

Soluble oil questions
I opened up the sump of the cold saw today and was quite amazed by the accumulation of sediment comprised of old coalesced water soluble oil, with metal chips. Drained everything and spooned the goop...
8
8

Bridgeport Series 1 milling machine "TJ" designation
Does anybody know what the "TJ" means in connection with a series 1 Bridgeport mill? It's suddenly become of interest to me because I bought one today! Woo hoo! V
9
9

anyone need free WEDM work
I bought a Charmilles Andrew wire EDM about a year ago. After trying on/off for many days over the last year, I hired a fella to come out. The guy is a genius at WEDM! He had us going in minutes by...
27
27

what oil for blackening steel?
I remember reading some where(RCM?) that you can make a black surface finish on hot steel by applying oil. Anyone know what kind of oil to use. I'm guessing it is like seasoning a cast iron frying...
7
7

Why do I suck at welding?
I have a small 80E Clarke arc welder I use for making metal yard art. I'll admit I'm fairly new at it but I have put in enough hours so you'd think I'd start to improve. Not yet. My main problem is...
9
9

Surface grinders
What are they good for? I just don't get it although I've done my homework and have even consulted wikipedia, that ultimate authority! I understand they will grind down a surface in infinitessimally...
15
15

Re-post heads-up for USA-ians living close to BC
Busy-Bee Tools has the asian 10x18 lathe on sale for $888 CDN. With the exchange at todays rate of under 80 cents it is just over $700 US. Gross weight is listed at 160 kilos, so you could drive it...

Fireplace doesn't burn very well
I have a fireplace in my CT home and am having a problem getting it to burn well. I can get it started nicely and it draws quite well but I use a starter log to get it going. When the starter burns...
10
10

UNEF Thead form
I need a reality check. I constructed this 7/8-20 UNEF Class 2A thread from the data I found in the Machinery's Handbook. I can't believe that the minor diameter lops so much off of the lower part of...
22
22

Neat tool idea/ simple and it works!
I may be one of the last ones to come across this idea because some people I've told about say they have been doing it for years, but it was new to me so for you other cave dwellers; weld a 1/2" or...
1
1

Where do all those funny 'standards' come from
We got into a discussion of all the metalworking and related standards: a mile is 1000 Roman Soldier paces, standard train track gage is from the Roman chariots. The various sheet metal and wire gages...
23
23

OT-Circuit City in Deadpool ?
Might be a good idea to avoid shopping at circuit city, returning or exchanging defective items will be a problem if they file BK. Electronics retailer Circuit City may close 150 stores and snuff...
4
4

Boyer Schultz Surface Grinder
Anybody know where there's a manual for a Boyer Schultz 612 surface grinder on line? Are there any discussion groups for users of surface grinders (other than the new Yahoo group for Rockwell grinders...

Snob appeal pecking order of milling machines
As I research machine tools I'm seeing other names than "Bridgeport" although this is the name that I routinely associate with "milling machine". Just where does this brand rate in the great poobah...
15
15

mitutoyo squares
I got a small part for my digimatic calipers from Grainger, just give them a call with the tool model number.
5
5