Subject Author Posted Replies

Threading Plate?
I picked up this tool a while back. think it is a threading plate. Sizes marked are 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, & 18, the second digit being a little smaller and superscripted. Are these tenths of mm. and...
6
6

How tight is a gear stuck on a shaft?
An aluminum tube with an inner diameter slightly smaller than a cordless drill motor gear outer diameter will be hammered/tapped onto the gear. Since the motor will be turned facing straight upwards...
9
9

OT- Tough Drain Snaking?
I've had a couple of problems with clogged drains and so far haven't done much good snaking. I bought a cheap hand crank snake, it goes in a ways, stops and I seem to make absolutely no progress. A...
20
20

George McDuffee book recommendation
Ben Bernanke, Essays on the Great Depression. heavy reading, but still mostly understandable. Many (as in very many) interesting parallels with our times. Machine shop secrets guy has a nice sense of...
2
2

Best way to post drawings to Dropbox?
All, I want to post some drawings to the Dropbox to clarify some projects I've done that some folks here might find useful. I can make the drawings using BobCad but I want to post them in a format...
3
3

Re: Electric motor lubrication
On Oct 10, 7:54 pm, Christopher Tidy <> wrote: Mix and stir. Grease - Wikipedia Grease - Wikipedia
1
1

Casting Patterns for High School Shop
Just wondering if anyone has a good lead on casting patterns, split or single sided, that are readily available. If not for sale, anyone have any ideas that you think would spark a high school...
7
7

Ot - Not Political - Economic Meltdown
The news on the economic front is looking especially grim, particularly for you Yanks. I hope the members of this group manage to survive the hard times ahead with grace and dignity. I feel sure that,...
31
31

ACORN Defines Change
Change - Cheating Helps A Negro Get Elected Vote early and vote often. HTH
8
8

Replace drive belts - metal lathe
I have recently acquired a LeBlond Regal 13, maybe 1943 or '44. It's 3 drive belts, 60" are old and stiff with set and produce some vibration if the motor is not clamped tightly. What is the best type...
1
1

Re: Electric motor lubrication
On Oct 9, 9:55 pm, Christopher Tidy <> wrote: Too much greease in a high speed bearing can very easily cause it to overheat. Small 1800 rpm motors will have no problems with overgreasing other than...

O-ring application guide
Does anyone have a favorite? There's lots of stuff on the web, but most I found was either very specific or fluff.
3
3

The bright side of the stockmarket collapse
At least your Social Security money was not used to "play with stocks", as Bush and McCain wanted. In 2006, McCain voted for the Social Security Reserve Fund. The proposal would shift Social...
76
76

Cataract Surgery
Looks like it's time to get my cataracts fixed. There's been a small one in my right eye for five or six years and nothing in the left. In the last six months vision in my right has gone down the...
18
18

Compressor makeup tanks
Awl -- My latest realization is that you can compensate for low cfm with tank volume, to some extent. Feel free to correct this. :) What are some good (read: safe *and* free) options for makeup tanks?...
7
7