Subject Author Posted Replies

Tool for measuring 1/8" to 1/4" outer diameter?
What is it called and where (USA, preferably online) can I buy a starter tool for measuring the outer diameter of small diameter rods and whatever other shapes? I'd like something more accurate than...
12
12

PING GUNNER: FROZEN PISTON
Any update on the Continental piston?
11
11

Oct 2008 Enco free shipping code
Get Free UPS Shipping* on your Enco order of $50 or more. Just place your order at and enter promo code WB9TR on the shopping cart page before you click checkout, or mention the code to your friendly...

Shape an electric motor shaft/gear to drive a 5/16" rod?
After removing an electric motor from a cordless drill, I'm left with a shaft/gear sticking out no more than 1/2" from the motor. With that, I need to turn a 5/16" rod. I can buy tools, but currently...
12
12

Rotary tool bit for cutting crosswise through 1/16" - 1/8" thick aluminum?
I have many rotary tool attachments for my Dremel 10.8 V lithium cordless (nice tool BTW), but none for crosswise cutting 1/16" - 1/8" thick aluminum. The bit would probably be something between the...
2
2

OT - shrink fit piston wrist pin - connecting rod
I need to reinstall a new piston on an existing rod. The wrist pin is a shrink fit in the rod end. I pressed the wrist pin out of the rod using my 30T press w/ no problems but I have been told that I...
13
13

What does the current economic crisis mean to US metal industry?
What's happening at the grass roots? Outlook?
15
15

Cutting Sheet -- Was I asking the wrong question?
OK, so I'm looking for a low-ball shear, because I want to cut out some panels, make one cruddy right angle bend in each one and drill some holes, and assemble them into a 'U' shape. I'm starting to...
19
19

pyro project w/metal content
I just built a load cell test stand for characterizing our gerbs. There's a .pdf with photos and schematics at just click on "load cell test stand.pdf" (Yes... it _may_ get a paint job. ) LLoyd
8
8

BPT BOSS 5 opinions
Looking for opinions on the BOSS 5 machine. Electronics are fairly irrelevant, as they have been trashed already. The current owner has all the goodies to convert it to PC control (Mach3, Gecko...
2
2

Looking for a sort of 3-d cad program
I'm looking to build a form from which to make GRP shapes. I think the way I'll go is to build a male from sheets of foam, between which will be glued sheets of thin ply cut to the contour at that...
3
3

Double Carbide Insert QCTP Toolholder for AXA Toolposts
FWIW, there are two eBay sellers offering these double-ended turning-facing (threading?) toolholders presently. HHip and tools4cheap are offering these holders with inserts for $44/45 plus shipping. I...
4
4

Drawing program CAD
In the past week or so, somebody mentioned a drawing program he was using, and I cannot find it again, and, believe me, I have sifted through a mountain of dreck, as well as a lot of serious and...
83
83

Electric motor lubrication
I have an old (1947±) LeBlonde Regal lathe. The huge motor (G.E. probably only 2 hp) has grease fittings on each end (motor housing). Do I really use grease? Do I replace the zerks with cups and add...
18
18

TIG - types of HF start
I"m considering watching for a TIG welder and note that there are different types of high frequency starting. It looks like the lift to start method is on less expensive machines. I assume that you...
2
2