Subject Author Posted Replies

Argo compressors
Awl-- Got one -- sorta. 5 hp, 60-80 gal tank. Single stage, I believe. Are they good? On par with Quincy, KellogAmerican? Or more like Speedaire et al? In between? It needs a little work, but it seems...
1
1

OT - new eBay twist - minimum purchase
There is a small DC motor in eBay stores & I inquired as to the shipping cost. The reply included the comment that they have a $20 minimum for eBay Stores purchases! The motor is offered at $12.50....

Lathe boring
If i have a 12" lathe from centres, can i drill a 12" bore on that lathe?
4
4

Lubricants for Taft Peirce Surface Grinder?
What lubricants should be used on an ancient Taft-Peirce 5 x 12 manual surface grinder? It does have a Bijur pump on the side. Thanks for any help. Chuck
2
2

Need advice on buying a good tap & die set for small machine work
Howdy folks, I a software guy groping around in E.E. and M.E. in my spare time. I have limited access to a machine shop at work, but I want to be able to do some things at home since I generally end...
13
13

Update on welding class
I have had three classes already. I have learned one new thing, which is how to properly open and close valves on acetylene welding set. Everything else was very general up to now. Like "keep...
11
11

OT:Minneapolis
Vacationing in the Minneapolis area this month, and looking for ideas on where or where not to stay and what to see? Wife already has plans for Mall of America, I'm interested in historical, technical...
8
8

Machining advice needed
The drive assembly to my cement mixer has finally given up. Unfortunately neither I or the previous owner ever used the Zerk fitting to lubricate the drive. The drive is a 3/4 inch shaft with a 3"...
7
7

Thinking of Winter Welding
I'm thinking of the upcoming winter when I need to, as my wife puts it, bond with my welder. So that means welding in the basement, for which I know I need a fume exhaust system. As usual, I intend to...
10
10

Tooling Supplier Ideas?
I've got a customer in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada... They would like to buy a HSS or coated tool capable of drilling 8mm, 10mm and 15mm in closely spaced "steps" on the drill. Anyone know a good...
8
8

differentiated thought before cutting metal
On one of my recent posts, you kind people pointed out that there are many ways of doing something. Simple observations are often the most profound. I'm not a master at being able to see a problem...
49
49

Is it fixed? OT
Guys, My ISP has had the news group totally screwed up for me since early last spring. I was told by a fellow TDS sufferer (our ISP) that the problem may have been resolved. Would some of you fine...
31
31

OT - What is a Boeing Machinist?
I've wondered since I was a kid growing up near Seattle. Are they really machinists, all 27,000 of them, or are they aircraft assemblers?
9
9

Fastener Chart
To All: Here is a fastener style/type chart I ran across that I thought some might find useful. The site also has a printable PDF version. Bolt Depot - Fastener Type Chart
8
8

MSC's web site search
I just sent this email to them. Anyone else here find there search hard to use. Agree with my comments?? Looking for a 3/4" carbide end mill with a 4" loc. your "refine by" list lets you pick over all...
3
3