Subject Author Posted Replies

Injection Molding Machine - Gingery - Machining Tolerances
I am building the Gingery plastic injection molding machine right now and have a few questions for people who have already built them. The heater block assy is CRS and you are supposed to drill and...
8
8

old VS 15" drill press?
There's an old Dayton-branded 15" VS drill press for sale in my area. I paid $20 for an option on it for a week. I called Grainger and they said they have nothing on it now but that it was made by...
10
10

Decorative groove
How would you go about cutting a decorative groove in a piece of aluminum? I'm talking about a groove that is around .125" wide or so and just deep enough so that it will be a nice visible...
6
6

DIY VFD Update
Just in case anyone is intrested, here are some pix of my 100 amp DIY VFD being assembled. As soon as time permits i will post a video of the VFD in opperation. I still have to make a remote control...
30
30

Alum and stainless ?
I've seen conversations about alum to dissolve broken taps , screws , etc in aluminum ... how about in stainless ? Last step in making an indexable carbide end mill was to tap the screw hole to 6-32 ....
11
11

OT: speculation and oil prices
As the investigations grind on and on and on, the facts are begriming to float to the surface like so many dead fish. It now appears (with every possible spin) that 49% of the traders/trades in crude...
9
9

bio-friendly cutting lube ?
yeah I'll google it but wanted to just ask here for recommendations. I cut 0-1 flat stock on a bandsaw at low speed so I think I need more along the lines of lubricant than coolant . I did say...
1
1

edge finder sensitivity
The recent thread on edge finders got me wondering. I'm of the 'Spin it at 1000 or so, bring it slowly to the edge and watch for the "jump"" school. I have two edge finders, .500 and .200 diameter....
59
59

Puzzling de-greasing chemistry
I was degreasing a batch of small parts today in preparation for de-rusting. Acetone being expensive, i bath them in Varsol first (mineral spirits) and then spray them with Zep Heavy Duty Cleaner...
6
6

Anodising touch-up pen?
Hi folks, I remember reading about an anodising touch-up pen somewhere. Not a metallic paint marker, but a pen which uses a chemical to form a coating similar to anodising. I want to touch-up a bit of...
9
9

OT: Ebay hiding user id's completely
I bid on something that is only at 28 bucks so far and I see ebay is hiding id's on it. I thought they started doing it at 200 bucks. When did this crap start? Wes -- "Additionally as a security...
6
6

Ping Gunner!
Have you had a chance to look over the power hammer plans yet? If so, are they going to be of any use to you? Todd

OT - Heard a beautiful sound this morning
Out for a walk with the dog and the wife, two cropdusters working the fields just outside of town. They were close enough to each other and the ground that I could occasionally hear the beat note...
10
10

noisy relay
I just installed a high amp relay like used on air conditioners for my well pump, part 6564K55 McMaster Carr, rated at 40 amp. The enclosure box is mounted to the floor joists just below the dining...
25
25

Old Vigor Burnout Furnace adapted to heat treating
In early June 2008 I bought an old Vigor Burnout Furnace (model CA 1065) for $95 from a seller on Craigslist. The furnace appears to have been built in 1979, but does work. The furnace came with a...
30
30