Subject Author Posted Replies

Pictures of the Y axis readout
anyone wants to question why the reading head goes along the scale and not at 90 degrees, the answer is that I already had the scale the way it is. I wish that it had a more cross-slide-friendly...

coffee cup stirling
Short video of Jan Ridders' Coffee Cup Stirling engine which is the free plan with the Vol.201.#4329, July 4-17 issue of . disclaimer - just a satisfied reader :-) Mike in Beautiful British Columbia
1
1

Stainless Steel Hooks & Rings
A while back I posted some pictures of a balance beam I made in the shop out of 6061 bar stock aluminum. I was thinking I might like to give some away to my fishing club if I could make them cheap...
15
15

math help
I am wanting to build a 24x30 pole barn garage. (Runnign out of room). If I use a 5/12 pitch roof, what is the length of the other side? (I am trying to determine the survae area of the roof to see if...
20
20

Hole saws
Another recent thread got me thinking: In the near future I shall have to cut a doughnut like structure from 0.5-1.0 mm brass. The outside diameter 114 mm, the hole diameter 57 mm. The cut has to be...
10
10

Poor Man's Forklift
As I may have mentioned I used my boom (cherry picker) to unload my new welder, but I've been thinking. If you could figure out some form of regular set of forks to go on the end of the boom you could...
13
13

How to make a large hole in a steel plate
I need to make a two inch hole near the center of a four foot square 3/16" steel plate. It doesn't need to be perfect, could be slightly irregular. Would a cutting torch be OK, or would the heat...
10
10

Tinning cookware
Grant-It seems to me that maybe it is tallow and not lard that can be used on the rag to wipe the tin. I don't remember now. Anyway, since paste flux works why bother? One more thing to remember is...
10
10

Achieving fine finish on turned parts
I have been practicing with my lathe a little bit. This included making a few things that I actually needed, such as bushings etc. While I had some minor successes making parts that actually ended up...
41
41

what's involved in re-tinning a steel pot?
I have this Greek baker friend. Today he asked me if I could re-tin a pot, actually a bowl from an industrial mixer. Apparently once upon a time it was routine to make such bowls from mild steel and...
34
34

Pictures -- lathe on casters
This one is not mine... But it sure looks fun... Makes me wanna ride it... Yeah baby... http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/tls/773231552.html
9
9

Of change gears and QC gearboxes
Virtually every modern lathe above 7 inches swing has a quick change gearbox. When trying to get a pitch not listed on the feed/threading chart the options are limited compared a lathe equipped with a...
5
5

What is mercury worth?
Estate sale, fellow has about 5 lbs of liquid metallic mercury. it was used as adjustable mass/weight in benchrest rifles. Owner/heir is concerned about EPA issues etc. But it has a value somewhere....
32
32

Dyna Myte 2800 CNC mill - value?
I am looking at one of these mills locally. Dyna Myte 2800. Looks to be in excellent used condition. No tooling, but tooling available as a separate negotiation. I am somewhat interested in it, my...
5
5

computer interface for three button caliper
Hello, is there any place I can buy a PC interface for the chinese three button scales? The protocol is well known, see e.g. I want to buy it, I need six channels. Here is one for three channels, it...
9
9