Subject Author Posted Replies

Puncture through sheet metal for tapping
As an alternative to PEM nuts, steel sheets can be assembled by puncturing the lower sheet and tapping the short "tube" formed by the ragged edges. What's the name for this technique ?
23
23

CNC pRon
A motor block and another workpiece is machined by Mazak 5-axis CNC machine
3
3

Semi OT: What do you call that lever you use to move a box car?
I used to have to move cars ahead on a siding with a lever tool. What is that thing called? Thanks, Wes
9
9

Had some metalworking fun today
* Milled the "oversized nut" of the quick change lathe toolpost to fit the lathe * installed adjustable carriage stop, so that it does not crash into chuck * Tried some lathe turning with carbide...
5
5

Shear Pin on a Central Machinery Mini-Mill
I recently found a set of metal gears that will fit my Mini-Mill. I know the standard plastic gears will strip out if the Mill tooling is pushed too far ( which I did once). I would like to put a...
4
4

What abrasive wheels for lathe bit grinding
What do you use to grind lathe bits (carbide ends or HSS) and is 1/3 HP grinder enough. thanks
22
22

"4oz ball pein" what was the troll about?
well it wasnt a troll it was a serious question. locally in a year of searching I havent seen a single solitary 4oz ball pein anywhere I've looked. the purpose was/is to do the metal forming on a set...
43
43

Motor - Generator question
At a local plant, there once was a computer center. The room was fed with a motor generator to provide clean power to it. I made an inquiry and the unit might be available. It has been years since I...
14
14

which capacitor
I'm on the home stretch on the pump project. I want to replace the capacitors, they are 22 years old. here's the specs: Capacitor 270-324 MFD, 330 V 1 275468119 305208919 Run Capacitor 40 MFD, 370 V 2...
19
19

Size of KDK-100 vs BX Tool holders
Anyboby know if the KDK-100 tool holders will fix on a BX tool post? Spec's on the KDK site says the big end of their dovetail is 1.750 which *IS* bigger than the BX. I can get a good price on a...
2
2

Shaft extention update
Thanks, we are going to use a stock clamp-type shaft coupler. I'm ashamed I didn't know they exist. What ELSE is out there that I don't know about? Hmmm.
16
16

Liquid ring compressor?
Despite this name, it seems to be a vacuum pump. Has anyone seen these installed anywhere?
6
6

Got some numbers on the bed wear -- any comments?
Tried to estimate the bed wear today. I did the following: placed a digital indicator (0.001mm resolution) with the magnetic base on the carriage. Its point was resting on the non-worn part of the bed...
7
7

Buy Steel products - FNQ Downunder
Hi All in millimetre. Im looking to buy mild steel flats (200 - 250 wide * 25 thick) Also mild steel rounds (100 - 150 dia) ( to maker a rotary table) All the steel suppliers here in FNQ want to sell...
1
1

Soldering a tractor radiator (disaster story)
Hi folks, Some of you may remember that about a year ago you gave me some advice about repairing a leak in my Fordson Super Major tractor radiator. It's a long story, but I only just got round to...
40
40