Subject Author Posted Replies

3 pha motor tips needed
Uncle's 5hp single phase motor for his A.O. Dobbs table saw (big sucker) croaked on him so he went down to the scrap yard and bought a 5 hp 3 phase motor. I looked at the partially marked wires and...
10

Welding tanks Explode
See the video. According to police, the van was filled with gas tanks and welding equipment. The man reportedly lit a cigarette, igniting gas fumes in the vehicle and setting off the explosion. Best...
31

Clausing 5914 Manual posted to the dropbox
I finally got around to scanning the manual for the Clausing 5914 lathe: The PDF file is a very clear scan of 41 pages (one page being a fold-out), but weighs in at 11 megabytes. I was unable to open...
5

#50 NMTB tooling available
I have a group of #50 taper mill tooling I need to move, is anyone interested? zip code 15301, south of Pittsburgh

Pictures (not mine of course) -- Tod Engine Assembly done
``Crankshaft 105,000 lbs. Each flywheel half 60,000 lbs. 80 ton hydraulic crane 90 ton conventional crane. Whew! Glad its DONE!'' Crankshaft 105,000 lbs. Each flywheel half 60,000 lbs. 80 ton...
5
5

Source for 5C handwheel collet closer drawtube assembly
I just bought a ~1918 Wade 8A precision toolmakers lathe, and it uses a Wade #8 collet, which is identical to a 5C collet except for a slightly longer length and a different (stronger) buttress...
12
12

Grease or oil?
Some of the threads here got me thinking: What, in general, is a proper application for lubricating oil and when should one use grease? I spent a fair bit on the web and am no wiser. Strong opinions...
10
10

Miller Syncrowave 250DX welder Amperage problem
This machine is a 2004 model used for tig with a water cooled torch and foot pedal remote control. The problem started when the remote cable was damaged causing the machine to give an error code 12....
10
10

Machining Curriculum
From time to time the question about what specific things are most important to learn about machining. I have scanned the 1990 curriculum of the state of CT Vo-Tech machine tool program. This scan is...
1
1

jewlers lathe--yours for postage
i hve a bunch af parts for a kampe jewlers lath--needs to be cleaned--photo on reques--i hve absoluely no use for it and would lke to see it in hands that can make use of it cover postage from Bronx,...

surface gauge - why flat base?
Given that a surface gauge (and indeed height gauges) need to sit securely on a surface plate, why don't they have a tripod support (which sits secure regardless), instead of having a flat base, which...
58
58

Why is machining so dirty?
Subject almost says it all. Making a tube so I can splice two refrigeration hoses (manifold gauge hoses) together since nobody is willing to sell me the needed fitting to my 30 lb. bottle of R-134....
20
20

What is the proper lubricant for a four jaw chuck
such as burnerd. thanks photos at 11.
8
8

Paramo vises
I bought a 4" heavy duty vise in a garage sale for $5. It was made by Paramo in UK. I cleaned it and derusted it like someone here suggested. I found that underneath all that grime it had been blue...
6
6

Caliper Extender
-- Has anyone ever used one of these? I need to measure some parts that are 24" +/- .005 and don't have a large enough vernier. Would it just be better to bite the bullet and get a large vernier?...
7
7