Subject Author Posted Replies

Industrial Air Machine Compressor problem
Hello All, I have an Industrial Air Machine unit that is beginning to fail. It is taking about five times as long to recover as it did just a few weeks ago. The specifications are: 5 HP 230V 200 PSI 2...
4
4

Clear coating for metal outside Mil-C-85054
Has anyone had any experience with Mil-C-85054? It is a clear coating similar to varnish in that it drys as a hard coating. It takes a long time to dry. The idea being that it allows water and salt to...
1
1

Stirling engines
Hi all, I have updated my posting on the metalworking dropbox. Much better pictures, and a few changes to the txt file. Look up "ENGINE00.txt & thru Hope you like it! 73's Bill N4ZZO
4
4

Pneumatic rotary actuator update
I tracked down pneumatic rotary actuators that have the rack gear built in and other niceties like cushions and stops. Thanks for the pointers! I talked to a couple of manufacturers and they balked at
10
10

049 test stand dont's
Got a Cox reed valve 049 engine going today, with a Davis head. For a motor stand I'm using a Tatone stand with a piece of 1/8" angle iron on which the engine is bolted. Don't do this, unless you want...
25
25

Haven't seen you for a long time on RCM
I trust you're doing well. regards, -jim

acetylene or carbon producing gas question
I know this use is unconventional and maybe not too relevant to metalwork, hopefully that doesn't piss anyone off. I want to apply soot deposits to glass in a swirl pattern. I've used pure acetylene...
4
4

Bought a clausing 13x36 lathe today
Followup to my earlier question to the newsgroup about lathe rust etc Stopped by the seller today. That Clausing Colchester lathe that I was asking about, I think looks worse on photos: it is actually...
19
19

Pressure vessels - A basic history since 1870
Abbotts & Co. has been building pressure vessels since it began back in 1870. It began by making boilers for the British admiralty, and continues today manufacturing a diverse range of vessels for a...

Is this lathe a good restoration candidate?
Someone wants to sell it, supposedly a 12x48 Clausing. Looks a little too rusted to my taste. anyone ever restored lathes in similar condition, how much time did it take?
15
15

Interesting homemade compressor
Goes kind of further than one might think.
2
2

$200 For Expert Electroplater Advice
Hey there, I am looking to spend an hour on the phone with an expert electroplater who is very knowledgeable about small scale (do it yourself) electroplating. See for reference. Particularly copper,...

Which screws for this project?
Note: In order to avoid wasting your time, please be advised that welding is not currently an option here. Thanks for your understanding. I like these skates a lot, planning to make slight variations....
13
13

Principles of Direct Current Machines (1923)
Principles of Direct Current Machines (1923) By Alexander Langsdorf Additional information and photos of this book are available on this page: Description: McGraw Hill, New York, 1923. Hard Cover....

Looking for drilling jig ideas
I've been trying various things over the last few years and I'm just curious if there's any engineering geniuses out there that have a better way to do this... I drill thousands of holes in 1" and...
8
8