Subject Author Posted Replies

Fluorescent shop light retrofit questions
I'm going to treat myself to new fluorescent shop lights. I currently have a motley collection, with fixtures from garage sales and the dump. No telling what the ballasts are and whatever tubes I...

Tolerance on 4mm hot rolled mild steel plate?
Does anyone know what a normal tolerance would be on 4mm hot rolled mild steel plate?. TIA Dave
1
1

Convert a Pedestal Drill to a Mill
Hi All Im looking into converting my pedestal drill (PD) like this one a pedestal drill and a modified milling machine by using compound table, albeit that the PD has 2 thou runout at the bottom of...
23
23

Who's the VFD guru?
I want to control the speed of a production machine. The drive motor is 1 hp 220v 3-phase 1150 rpm. The motor starts under no load, a mechanical clutch is engaged to run the machine at 100 rpm through...
14
14

Inexpensive but worthwhile wirefeed?
I asked this question on s.e.j.welding, and for the most part (with one or two notable exceptions, thank you if you're reading this) all I got was fatherly advise on how to break into professional...
33
33

"Fun with MOTs"
Since building a spotwelder with 2 microwave oven transformers (MOTs), I have fooled around with them and found other uses: 's 1.09 MB. Sorry, dialup readers. Bob

Clausing 5914 - Reeves drive pulley squeaks (resolved)
Things were too clean. A bit of belt dressing on the belt and the noise all stopped. Now I can hear all the other noises. The belt dressing is Gold Eagle 61498, bought from a local auto parts store....
6
6

Making lots of square holes
I'd like to make a Menger sponge ( in metal; that is, I want to make a number of intersecting through holes of square cross-section through a cube of metal. I don't know what the relevant metal would...
10
10

Hanging it up! Downsizing !!!
I am 78 years old. My wife and I are downsizing and moving into an assisted living community. I have sold most of my tools but I still have something that I don't want to get rid of, but I must. I...
6
6

"schiele curve"
I am trying to find a definition of this curve, which is described in old lathe design manuals - not finding anything on the internet - any of you guys have a good reference?
1
1

PICTURES -- Compressor repairs completed
Final pictures are here: runs smoothly as intended. The only thing missing is the pressure switch, which I ordered but which has not yet arrived. The amps are now within spec, after the shaft end play...
6
6

Clausing 220V Table Saw
I have an opportunity to pick up a Clausing 220V 10-inch table saw for $100. Can anyone tell me if it is a good idea to run one of these off a step- up transformer? Thanks. Darren Harris Srarten...
7
7

Any good tool sets?
I'm interested in getting a nice all purpose mechanical tool set that I can carry to whatever I need to work on and have most of what I need. I like the Craftsman kits but they are sockets, more...
25
25

what cad software should I get?
I am new to cad/cam/cnc software. What is the the most affordable or cheapest software I should get or buy to learn? I want to get into small metal parts manufacturing. thanks for any help you can...
16
16

Drilling lubrication
My new drill press has all kinds of cool features I never had before. One of them is a bottle with a control-flow spout to run lubricating fluid while drilling. Many years ago I used water mixed with...
8
8