Subject Author Posted Replies

Weld Helmet Question
I just bought an arc welder and solar=powered auto-darkening helmet from Northern Tools. Question: Wil the solar-powered auto-darkening helmet work at night (when the sun is behind the earth)? Will...
36
36

Powdercoating of vises
Would it be suitable to powdercoat bench vises, after degreasing and sandblasting of course?
14
14

wire a soft start
I can't get my 5 horse horizontal spindle to start in the higher speeds... It trips the 30 amp circuit breaker ahead of my RPC. If anybody remembers, I asked about this issue a week ago, adding...
17
17

Mist Sprayer Inlet Pressure
I just got a generic mist sprayer from Wholesale Tool. It doesn't specify the pressure going to the sprayer. I could play around and just find the minimum that works, but the voice of experience is...
3
3

Need desoldering advice
I was working on a lathe with a Fanuc 0-TC control today that could not download programs and I suspect the 751488 line driver. Disabling Xon/Xoff let us load a program. I ohmed the db25 connector to...
28
28

Speedaire Compressor Model Number?
I have a Spededaire Compressor. 3HP Electric Motor. 25 gallon. 2 cylinder. Green color. Horizontal. The only ID information seems to be the casting number on the compressor. L206B. I would like to...
3
3

Need tips on building a brush hog
I'm considering building a brush hog; the kind you pull behind an ATV. It would be modelled after the Swisher Trail Cutter, which has a single blade/rotor, 44" cutting width, and 14.5 HP engine....
7
7

Harbor Freight 44811 Bench Press
HF 44811 I like the fact that it is 10 ton and compact. Has anyone tried it?
4
4

Flood coolant guard for knee mill
I'm a dreamin' up flood coolant guards for my knee mill. Anybody done this and been proud enough to take pictures? I don't have the room for a complete enclosure like on CNC mills. I'm thinking of...
1
1

Painting machines for sale on eBay
I have had some luck painting stuff and selling it on eBay in the painted condition. Maybe it was not worth the time spent, but it was fun. The common feeling amongst buyers, myself included, is that...
4
4

Source for brass numbers like these?
Lee Valley Tools say they are discontinuing these brass numbers: 00K80.00 (and .01, .02, etcetera) Pic at this link: use about 40 of these, mixed, once per year. Does anyone recognize them from...
2
2

Wrench with non-parallel jaws
The jaws on this wrench are not parallel: the face of the movable jaw is perpendicular to the "ways", but the fixed face is not. But they aren't sprung or worn that way. It seems that it was made like...
1
1

R8 extension? Do they exist?
Got a boring job to do in the mill. Big ugly casting, and I need to reach about 7" down through a 3.25" hole. Problem is that my ram is 3.5". I would like to use my boring head rather than a fly...
11
11

20 HP Lathe
This lathe is advertised as 20 HP: do not doubt that the ad is true, but I have to wonder why any lathe would need a 20 HP motor. I have hard times imagining how even a fraction of that could be...
58
58

Indexable positive-insert-geometry EMs for smaller mills
Folx, When having to hog metal on smaller mills (mine is Sieg X3) you will sooner or later discover the HP limitation of our machinery. When going with indexable EMs, cheaper variety uses negative...
1
1