Subject Author Posted Replies

Interesting cold saw problem
No, I do not have a cold saw, but an acquaintaince of mine does. This is a Dake cold saw. My own participation was making a base on casters for this cold saw. It has a coolant pump that is driven by...
25
25

fa: pulse counter - will probably sell cheap - who wanted to count pulses per minute?
there was some discussion a while back where someone needed to count a pulse rate - this is a medical device that I listed, but I don't think anyone will get it for medical applicaitons - it looks...

Clausing 5914 - Loose spindle bearing tightened
At Clausing's suggestion, I tightened the spindle bearing take-up nut, which adjusts the preload on the spindle bearings, by about 1/4 turn. The headstock now warms up if the lathe is run constantly;...
2
2

Pre-hard machinable steel with highest compressive yield strength
Hi everyone, Can anyone please tell me what machinable pre-hard steel has the highest compressive yield strength ? I'm guessing it would be a pre- hard 4000 series, perhaps 4340 or a bearing steel or...
17
17

Pulley construction query
A picture of a random collection of pulleys brass and aluminium for use with rubber drive bands in tape recorders, VCRs etc. They all have a small groove at the root of the V section of the pulley....
11
11

220-440v transformer
I would like to know what sorts of transformers are suitable for converting 220v to 440v. Specifically, can I use a step down transformer in the opposite direction, or will it not work at all due to...
25
25

Clausing 5914 - Test Report Requirements
I talked to Clausing today. One question I had was how much of a cut the lathe ought to be able to handle without chattering. The guy I talked to didn't recall such a spec. Later, I asked if there was...
18
18

God Save the Delta Queen
Not normally given to editorializing on NGs, I would like to share with you a message from a Kentucky resident. It has been sent to several members of Congress to bring scrutiny to the plight of the...
1
1

Steel rule dies?
Is there a die maker that caters to small, one-off, hobbyist type die fabrication? I have a simple part shape I want to cut from 1 mil metal foil tape and need 60 of them. I could cut them with...
8
8

soft start
My Supermax has landed. This knee mill has both horizontal and vertical spindle motors. They are 5 hp. The vertical spindle will start with my 3 phase converter system, but repeated...
5
5

How to mill a flat surface
Related to my yesterday's vise refurbishing project, where I milled a little thin layer off the anvil to make it look smooth. I used a 5/8" carbide endmill. I made multiple passes, each time removing...
29
29

Downloading tool list to Mazak mill?
Hi all, Is it possible to download a tool list to a Fusion 640 control as part of the EIA program? I'm trying to reduce setup times and would like to send the tool number, type (i.e. drill, end mill)...

Champion Forge
I bought a portable Hand cranked Champion Forge today from a fellow who said it was a gift to a family member many years ago. It's about 30" diameter, looks to be '30's or '40's vintage.. The family...
8
8

Consensus on CAD?
Is there a consensus on the best overall CAD program for the hobbyist metalworker? Oh, and what is it, or what are the best choices out there? Another oh. I know jack about CAD. :-)
13
13

Clausing 5914 - Replacement of VS and Timing belts
I finally got around to installing the new Variable Speed (VS) and Timing belts I got some months ago. I figured it would be a long and messy process, and it was. The VS belt was on its last legs,...
12
12