Subject Author Posted Replies

Request for material recommendation for a Titanium grade or similar lightweight material with high yield strength
Hi everyone, I need to machine two small parts. One part requires a yield strength of 100,000 PSI and one part requires a yield strength of 200,000 PSI. It's probably best to machine the parts from...

Hydraulic oil and condensation
If there's a better group to take this question, point me the way. If not, some of you guys have experience with hydraulics. When I bought my Grasshopper commercial mower with a hydraulic drive 6...
4
4

Best paint color for a Wilton machinist vise
I am going to repaint a couple of Wilton machinist vises (400 and 500 series bullet vises) What color would you say be the best? grey (as in galvanizing paint) or red on top of it?
19
19

Basic 3D & CAD programs
Hi All I am looking for a 3D or CAD program that is relatively simple to use. I=92ve used 3D Max and obtain some good results, creating figures moving camera positions etc. However I want to design...
24
24

Clausing Compound
Would anyone happen to know if a compound from a 12" Clausing 5900 might by chance fit a 13" Clausing 1300? I need a cross slide for my 1300 and I have seen a few for 5900's come and go on ebay....
2
2

Guide to selecting a MIG Welder
http://snipr.com/MIGwelder

Turning acrylic/plexiglass rod on a lathe
Hello, I know this is not specifically metal related, but we have some acrylic rod that we are trying to machine using a lathe. The problem with acrylic is that it melts as the bit is cutting into it....
18
18

FOR SALE: Vintage Shop Tools
Hello, y'all. I hope I'm not violating etiquette by posting this, but since I'm not much of a metalworker, I don't hang out here. Anyway, I've put a few items of interest to metal-heads* up for...

Rolls Royce mini lathe

6" cut-off wheel in a bench grinder
I have to cut 2 perfectly matching slots in a 5 mm thick flat semicircular piece of steel, each 15 mm by 5mm. As per suggestion on another thread I doubled up on the hacksaw blades. This gave me only...
14
14

electric stun fish
I seem to remember a guy getting in trouble for fishin' crappie with electricity... I've got a large koi pond that has way too may fish. Many of them are not desirable color. (Offspring tend to revert...
29
29

Pipe benders
This is another tool I have no experience with, I have not even seen in real life. I came across a few as "other items sold on EBay". The concept intrigued me as, in future, I will have a need to bend...
5
5

A different kind of metal forming
I intend to learn a new skill and shape aluminum panels to make a motorcycle fairing. I have seen a skilled pro make them, and have aquirred a beating bag and have an antique hand-held English wheel....
6
6

Metal Forming
Hello, I would like to start making brackets and other metal items. Would anyone have any links or books on metal forming and the tools needed? I would like to know how how they form complex forms...
2
2

Ryobi BGH827 8" bench grinder vibration - postscript
I had an idea on how to get around the problem of drunken threads - a spherical-seat washer, which would allow the wheel to be clamped uniformly despite the cockeyed nuts. Thew was not space for a...
2
2