Subject Author Posted Replies

Likely Properties of SS Sheet & Stiffness of Different Materials?
I have a metal piece that I would like to replace with plastic (long story). The original piece is 34 mil thick non-magnetic stainless sheet, bent in an L shape with about a 3/4" radius. It's not...
4
4

Lathe question
I have a Smithy 1220 lathe/mill and was turning a 3/16" threaded coupler down yesterday and I noticed that there is apparently a taper in it. The end away from the chuck is about .006 wider than the...
10
10

Clausing 6914 - Way Wipers
Today I replaced the way wipers (made of thick wool felt), which led to a discovery. The carriage had always left a trail of black oil on the front V rail as the carriage moved back and forth, and I...
3
3

Canoe Trailer Question
I need a single canoe trailer. I want to get the canoe out more, and it's too much hassle to get it on top of my old 4wd suburban. There are galvanized steel trailers with spring axles, then aluminum...
13
13

Video Borescope
Has anyone tried the Visual Optics video borescope? 'm looking for a low cost ~$200-300 Borescope that will fit through a 14mm spark plug or O2 sensor hole, and also gearbox drain ports etc. The...
5
5

mystery funnels
I just sent off a jpeg of a couple of "mystery funnels" to the drop box ( - below is the contents of the accompanying text file - I'd sure appreciate it if someone recognized what these things are -...
10
10

tuned exhaust for a lycoming 0320
Thanks for a bunch of ideas. I posted my problem on two other NGs but you wizards responded more and with some good ideas. This NG is NOT just about watches, nudes and politics. Stu
8
8

tuned exhaust for a Lycoming 0320
I'm just having more fun than should be legal and it probably isn't if I look far enough into the County, State and Federal statues, but I am never-the-less. I have pretty much followed the Cafe...
20
20

Power hammer construction help?
As some of you probably remember, I'm building a Kinyon style power hammer. I'm getting to the stage where I'm about ready to start welding things together, and was looking for advice. The baseplate...
15
15

so here's a question - were these huge filters REALLY used on cars?
what follows is something of a shaggy dog story, a link to ebay, and a question - with that warning, read or ignore as you see fit. The object in question is made of steel, so the mandatory metal...
8
8

Changing rotation on electric motor
The three horse motor on my compressor died. I've had this big 5.5 hp Marathon for just such an occasion. It is 230v 1ph 215T frame (if that matters). I've downloaded Marathon's installation and...
9
9

Harbor freight lathe
One is coming up on a liquidation locally, wanted to hear opinions, very similar to would be for my own use, not resale. Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply...
30
30

Scroll Chuck lubricant
I do a little HSM from time to time and today I thought it was time to clean out my 3 jaw scroll chuck (Chinese). Lots of chips stuck in grease in the scroll, the rest was pretty clean. I assume the...
5
5

Mystery Tool
Can anyone identify this set of tools? I picked it up at a garage sale the other day. Who could resist for $2 ? Steve Mystery Tool
7
7

HTS-2000 any good?
Is this stuff any good? I want to fabricate some small AL tubes in the from of a cube? 'm guessing a zinc alloy, but is it good? Karl http://www.aluminumrepair.com/index.aspI