Subject Author Posted Replies

Metal question (no kidding!)
I want to use some free pieces of granite to make water features. This will probably evolve or go down in flames, but I'm going to start with two types. The first will be horizontal, using a large...
1
1

Trailer tongue tool boxes
Are boxes designed for tongues where there's only a triangle, and not enough room to put a rectangular box? Anyone make custom sizes? Steve
8
8

Radius end mill tips (by hand)
I have a project where I need to cut a 0.188" radius fillet for about 16" in aluminum. Unfortunately, the cut is at the bottom of a 4.5" deep channel. I haven't been able to find a cheap (
6
6

Interesting item I found in trailer parts catalog
It is called an "axle slider". Maybe someone can correct me if wrong, but all it looks like is a section of angle iron with spring hangers welded on it. This seems like it would be handy when building...
8
8

Hardinge TFB-H docs/manuals and tooling sought
Anybody have PDF or other format documentation of any sort for a TFB- H, HLV-H, or HC? I just bought a TFB-H over ebay and will have it transported to my location in the next couple of weeks....

DIY Induction heater for shrinker endmill holders?
I bought a number of BT40 Lyndex shrink fit endmill holders, but cannot even come close to affording the shrink fit induction heating system to operate them. I'd like to use the holders, as they are...
21
21

how to keep powdercoat from peeling?
I have a sensor housing that is used for winter plow trucks. I have my fabricator of the housing powder coat it. It seems to have good integrity, but some tests I have been doing with thermo-shock...
3
3

Is there a site that tells me the spindle speed for metal turning?
If you know a site, or if you have a list of the speed requirement for turning metals on a lathe, I would appreciate it. On my quick change gearbox on my lathe it shows the speeds, but I like to know...
17
17

Can I clean a bearing hub with WD 40
I always wonder if it is ok to clean a dirty bearing hub, like with WD 40 or Kerosene. Will that screw up the lubrication for the bearings?
14
14

Opinions on older TIG supply?
Howdy, I was recently looking at an older TIG supply, transformer based, and am wondering about it's performance compared with more modern machines. A machine very similar to this one: an older...
19
19

Boom pole
Any idea on some construction plans or how a person could build one? I have some pipe laying around. Been thinking this would be a good project to get my welding skills in order and the boom could be...
1
1

Need high temp fiberglass insulation
It was a rough weekend at the track, I'm doing repair work today. The cracked and crunched fiberglass bumper has some foil backed insulation on it that is going to get destroyed when I repair the...
8
8

Finding really dense metals
I'm looking for something even denser than lead. Ideally I'd like to fill up a small can, about pint-size, with scrap metal and get a weight close to 10kg (22 pounds). I might not make 22 pounds but...
20
20

Fastener puzzle
I've been trying to figure out the best way to do this for a few weeks now, and I haven't come up with anything I like yet. I'm working on a product where 4 pieces of 1/4" round aluminum need to be...
8
8

MSC shipping to Canada
I've read various reports of the problems when MSC (or someone else) shps to Canada via UPS. UPS insists on being the customs broker, resulting (sometimes) in brokerage fees greater than the cost of...
5
5