Subject Author Posted Replies

Adjusting a Millers Falls micrometer
I have an old Millers Falls micrometer that somehow is out of calibration by about a half a thou. How do you adjust these? I've adjusted other types where you grab the sleeve (Starrett) or the end of...
6
6

Drill Press Repair
My father-in-law has well broken in drill press that he wants me to repair. He told me it was built in 1918. It says "CANEDY OTTO MFG CO" on the side of the column. Flat belt driven. Has a...
5
5

Tongue question
Anyway, been thinking about simplicity vs strength in terms of tongue design. I like the idea of using a straight tongue that goes =93through=94 the front of the trailer support then has A frame sides...
1
1

Working with tin?
--Have been making use of that .008" thick "easy solder" tin sheet that you can get at hobby shops. It's nice and bendy and can be hammered easily to remove dents, etc. Trouble is it oxidizes and...
3
3

sealing an oxidized silver ringq
I am oxidizing a silver ring so that it looks black. The problem is the oxidization wears off after time especially since it is a ring. I am using liver of sulphur to oxidize the silver. Does anyone...

identifying steel and iron
I need steel tubing to build a tubular chassis. The problem is, I'm not sure what kind of metal my supplier is selling. they sell G.I. or galvanized iron which is what i'm interested in getting.........
3
3

Testing welds
What is a good way to test my practice welds without fancy equipment? I have a floor jack. (Short of beating it with a hammer)?
4
4

Finding a good sales rep?
We are a Small and new Machine shop in Central Virginia. I would like help on two things. First, How do you go about getting work from companies? It seems that they have their shops they work with and...
13
13

keep your finger on the pulse of Craigslist with email updates
I found a site that checks craiglists and emails updates ( I've been using it for about 2 weeks to check for postings. At first I had it set so it would send emails every 15 minutes, but I ended up...
2
2

7018 rods question
I was reading on the Miller website an explanation of rods. It said that 7018 rods are "not recommended for use in small ac arc welders". Does this mean I should not use it with my Lincoln ac 225 amp...
5
5

Welding weaving?
I have used overlaping circles befor and red that this should not be used, just a back and forth motion. Which is right?
13
13

Tungsten Grinding
I don't have a bench grinder but i do have an angle grinder to sharpen thoriated tungsten electrodes. I'm having problems with the arc it seems to create bright pulsing flashes making it very...
3
3

Melting Dental Gold
To make a long story short, a customer wants a very special knife, which is mostly built. But he wants embellishments on the knife that I've never attempted before, so I'm seeking advice from the good...
16
16

Chop saw or band saw
I have an occasional need to cut stock of up to 2 inch diameter (or square, shapes differ). I have been thinking of making my life easier and investing in a chop saw. However, recently I came across a...
20
20

what the heck is this base for
here is a link to the drop box looks just familar enough that I know I ought to recognize it, but I've been pondering it for several months and I still don't know - I'm sure that a bunch of you folks...
9
9