Subject Author Posted Replies

Blank for plaque
I've been asked to make a memorial plaque for a gravesite. Will lie on the ground, anchored by a pair of vases. Customer is thinking like 1/2 x 12 x 48" plate I'll be engraving a lengthy message on...
9
9

Hay Scale? (It's made of metal!)
I just bought what I've always called a "hay scale". It's just a balance beam with a top hook for hanging from wherever, and a bottom hook for the load. The beam is brass, with a sliding...
19
19

ebay gold leaf fraud?
Hi rcm! I've been curious about gold leaf a long time and eventually I bought this affordable offer on ebay: 200 pcs of 24K Gold leaf - gold sheets !! got suspicious at first when I weighed some...

Looking for: channel for screen doors
I want to make a screen door for my front door, welded steel tubing. Anyone know where one can find preformed channel that can be welded to the tubing to secure the screen? Thanks, Jon
3
3

Welding cast iron spear to steel picket?
I used old 1" water pipe to build a metal fence and would like to attach some cast iron spear points to the tops. The only one that fits has a solid base and I need to weld or braze or ? Any one know...
3
3

Bolting a trailer and welding?
I am just thinking here about that trailer. I may never build it but if
40
40

Gussets and trailer
Would 1/8 thick corner gussets be thick enough if I were to use them in the corners of a 10 foot trailer?
6
6

Metalworking question - Did I get screwed?
I recently found a milling attachment for my Atlas lathe in a used tool emporium. It was missing the two square-head bolts that hold things in the vise. I paid $25.00 US (Twenty-five dollars) for the...
17
17

Sulphur Springs Steam
Can anyone tell me if Sulphur Springs Steam is still active? I have sent an order and emailed them twice in the past week, but no response. Is this a common occurrence or am I being picked on? :-p bg...
1
1

Any calliope enthusiasts around?
--Reason I ask: I'm making whistles and am finding that I can make just about anything toot but I'm having a horrible time tuning the damned things! Any help appreciated. I've been studying this page:...
7
7

Old Brace id?
Anyone know who might have made this Brace and when? I can find no markings, and guess about 100 years old. The jaws threaded rods use a reverse thread on one side for easy clamping, pre-rust. I have...
10
10

Chop saw
I have a 5 year old or so Delta chop saw. It does not seem to cut as well anymore even with a new blade. Are there brushes or something that need to be replaced? How do I go about that?
3
3

Chop say question
I have a 6 year old or so Delta chop saw. It does not seem to cut as well as it once did and seems to loose power or spin slower than normal while cutting. Are there brushes or somethign that should...
9
9

Spindle lubricant and speed questions
I'm building a tubing and pipe notcher that uses a roughing end mill. It's mostly a "can I do it" kind of project and I'm designing it as I go. I've built a spindle for it using tapered roller...
6
6

Tile saws and sharpening stones
Has anyone used a tile saw to slice up a sharpening stone? Somewhere I have two pieces of a soft arkansas stone that I'm considering trying to carve into some custom shapes for sear polishing and...
2
2