Subject Author Posted Replies

Metal content - 27 year old Ford Ranger
Working on cars doesn't get any easier as we age - - - When I bought this old Ranger 11 years ago with 307000Km on it I paid to have the clutch replaced - $300 parts and $600 labor. (quote now is $900...
15
15

I feel Like An Idiot
I've got the larger (and the smaller) Harbor Freight horizontal band saws. The smaller one is now different than any other el cheapo 4x8 horizontal. The bigger one is quite good. The Super Cut blade...
11
11

PING ! Bob La Londe
Or anyone else with pertinent information ... Did I see you post something a while back about brazing carbide ? I have some brazed boring bars (for my boring head) that are chewed up , and a stash of...
11
11

Uniformity shall prevail !
As soon as the plugs I just ordered arrive I will have a uniform plug system for all 220v welding and cutting machines . Actually I already have everything but the plasma cutter on the 50 amp 3 prong...
1
1

OT: Apollo Splash Down Module
OT: Apollo Splash Down Module There might be some metalworking in here, but that is not the question. This is more of an aerodynamic question. Would the splash down module self correct in free fall r...
3
3

Diamond disappointment
I have a couple of thousandths runout on the grinding disc for my new end mill sharpening fixture . So I look online and I see diamond single point wheel dressing doodads . And I think to myself ,...
10
10

208-230 vs 230
I am looking at motors right now and notice some are labeled 208-230 and some are labeled just 230. I do not need a lecture on the difference between star and delta. I am aware that tap to tap is...
2
2

Asurion - I guess I do not recommend this product either.
Asurion - I guess I do not recommend this product either. "Your claim is in progress. At this time we're unable to locate a service provider. We're working on it — we'll update you soon.​"
9
9

I do not recommend this product - IR 5HP TS4N5 Compressor
Just barely over a year ago I bought a 5HP Ingersol Rand compressor for my shop to replace the 3.7HP Lowes Kobalt compressor that had supplied the shop's air for just over 4 years previously. I walked...
49
49

The Gash
I've got my Dremel set up as a light duty toolpost grinder (had the setup for years) with a heavy duty cutoff wheel . I think I need a lot of practice in positioning the tool/workpiece - maybe an...
10
10

It works !
This morning I finished the last piece for the end mill fixture , the pin wrench for the collet nut . And I discovered that 2 flute end mills are easier to index than hacked up 3 flute end mills . The...
8
8

Slightly OT: Rectangular O-rings
Is there a standard catalog of rectangular cross-section O-rings? It's a hot-water application, in fact the group gasket for an old espresso machine. The dimensions need to be about 2 1/4" OD, 1 7/8"...
9
9

One step left ...
Since Jim brought up my end mill sharpening fixture in another thread I thought I'd update . Everything is finished except a pin wrench to tighten the collet nut . I used the inside threads in my 5C...
3
3

Fuel Line Springs
In messing with this marine engine I've noted the fuel line from the pump to the first carburetor (feeding all three from there) is nearly impossible to route without kinking or flattening the line...
13
13

THE MARKINGS ARE GONE!!! DANG-IT!
Ordinarily when I need to setup an accurate taper on the lathe I install a test bar and use an indicator and the rise over run method to bump in the compound. Sometimes that's way over kill. Plus or...
10
10