Subject Author Posted Replies

Calcium Chloride for dehumidifing
Hey ! I'll play ! Why not sodium chloride ? It is abundant and we all know how it attracts humidity. Bob Swinney Same stuff as for melting ice? Any major reason to use prilled CC vs the Ice Melter...
3
3

How to take the metal pin out
I have a metal pin look like this | ===== | / It is attached to glass panel | glass |==== glass | glass I need to take the pin out. The flat part of the pin has dimension of 5/16 inch. The pin...
32
32

OT - metalworking and reloading
I was out in the gar^H^H^Hshop loading some ammo for my guide gun and I noticed my Lyman 505 beam scale was eratic returning to zero. It turned out that even though the scale is stored away from my...
9
9

DARPA Urban Challenge Webcast
For those interested in robotics, the webcast for the DARPA Urban Challenge can be found here: Gallimore
3
3

Logan lathes made well enough to suffice for a novice metal worker?
What is the quality of the Logan machine lathe brand? Made well enough to suffice for a novice metal worker?
32
32

cost of linear actuators
I have an application where I have to move a 3 lb object in a 3 ft cubic space. I am not looking at high performance or high accuracy. It can take as much as 30 seconds to traverse the 3 ft distance...
6
6

Ping: Gunner
FYI, there is an auction of surplus school equipment in Lancaster tomorrow at 9:00 a.m. (just in case you're interested). The address is 44865 3rd St. east, Lancaster. Viewing starts at 8:00 a.m. Go...

Pinging Iggy- Powermatic
Iggy, As I said earlier, here are the pictures of my Powermatic. It was a real mess when I got it. Hence the low price. It had multiple coats of green paint. Then some one trimmed it with bright...
2
2

Pro Source a good alternative to HF?
Is Pro Source a good alternative to Harbor Freight 'cheap tools'? Currently PS is on sale at Big Lots. Picked up a $15 cut-off air tool (HF has one for $9.99) - the whole line of products look better...
3
3

Mirror for Mag Base
We have 3 girls in the family, plus my wife. Mirrors get broken from time to time. I collect the pieces. They can be cut the same way as ordinary glass. I have also mounted a grinding wheel in a die...
5
5

Commander-Style Multiple Spindle Head Question
Just ran across a few of the Commander-style "universal arm" machines here. All the collets were made from aluminum. Is this normal based on the experience of others using them or did this guy make...

1 ton diesel milage
I dreamin' of upgrading my ride... I'd like to know real world mileage numbers on a diesel 4x4 one ton dually pickup truck. or anything with a similar weight. I've had three fords in a row, after my...
39
39

Metalworker? Motorcyclist?
If you are either or both, you will probably find something on this guy's site of interest... Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022 01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills: Spindle Drills:

At what speed do I check my spindle runout
I may not use the right terms, I'm a little new at this, but is there a speed that I need to be, to see if my spindle in the lathe has any runout? One of my friends asked me what the run out was....He...
4
4

Shrinking a flat leather belt
Hello all, I have a 13" SB with a flat leather belt which was a lot of trouble to skive and glue just right. Which I don't want to go through again. Problem is that the doggone thing has stretched...
21
21