Subject Author Posted Replies

Melting aluminum
Just took off the aluminum siding on the front of my house. I don't know if it's worth the gasoline to drive it to the scrap metal dealer. I probably have about 20 lbs. Is this siding aluminum...
31
31

Help : Motor draws too many amps
Yesterday I went to the dumpster. I came back with several motors. One of them, battered, no markings at all but working, seems to be of the resistance start type. Either that or the previous owner...
1
1

Question about making Field's metal
I'm planning on trying to make some Field's metal. I need that specific alloy and can't substitute anything else. I'm going to make about seven ounces of it. I've never made an alloy before, or worked...
8
8

Adhesives for aluminum?
I want to mount a digital scale to a length of aluminum, but I'd like to have about a quarter inch segment to drill and tap for the scale mounting clamps. What kind of adhesive would bond 6061...
4
4

profit-motive question: single phase adapter for 3-phase motor drives
Here's a money-grubbing question from a hard-case tinkerer: Leadin: In order to run a 3-phase motor drive from single phase input, the user must derate the unit by 50%. This is because the input...
9
9

Who Uses Techniks?
Just had a customer call me up the other day and tell me Techniks could not sell direct to the public but that they had to order through me... Never realized that they only sold to OEM and...
3
3

OT?: Storing a window air conditioner?
Hi All, Not completely off topic, but I figured folks here would know, no luck on this from google :-(. The AC came out of the window yesterday and the only place to store it is on the back (fins...
2
2

Tooling supplier in Chicago area
Do any of you have suppliers for endmills, flycutter ends, etc. in the Chicago area that has a storefront. Grainger is pretty limited and I don't fancy myself as a big job shop (I use Goodson via mail...
9
9

source for oddball arbor nuts?
I have a great collection of R8 horizontal arbors (for use with a Bridgeport horizontal milling setup) but 3 of my arbors are missing the nuts. I'm looking for: 1¼-7 LH 1-8 RH 3/4-10 LH I'm sure I...
6
6

Making metal -- automotive trannie qx
My wife's 97 LeSabre custom with the 60-E trannie was making metal, so we had it re-built (before we got stranded on the road). Before the rebuild, it sort of "hunted" for converter lock at...
15
15

Metro wire mesh shelves- making posts
Metal shelves, so N.O.T., I hope. I have a bunch (13) of metro wire mesh shelves, no posts. Posts are $22 each. My plan was to find something close to the clip size (those tapered round shims,...
19
19

What is it? CC
As mentioned on the site, since five of the six are unidentified, the current set could be my most difficult yet. Wild guesses are welcome as they might lead to a correct answer. Rob
28
28

Straightening Ripper
My BIL's tractor has a bent ripper arm. The whole thing is 5/8" thick x 2.5" wide flat bar, and is about 17 inches long, slightly curved. It has a hardened tooth on the end held on by a pressed in...
2
2

Government Auction
Maybe $700 on a good day. i
15
15

What are they?
Several days ago I was on a trip and in a town called Sheldon Ca. I saw a collection of old machinery accumulated by a realtor. There were two items I couldn't identify. One seems to be some sort of...