Subject Author Posted Replies

stairs from rectangular steel tube?
One of my builders wants me to make him some stairs. The stairs are complex, winding up a 3-story building. For part of the distance, he wants stairs actually cut into 3x10x1/4" rectangular steel...
14
14

Chicago Pneumatic Impact Gun CP734 Parts
I've got one of these older model impact guns that is just not performing as well as it should. I took a look around for the tune up kit and the repair kit, but couldn't find anything specific for...
2
2

OT: An answer to why the reduction in science and engineering majors in US universities
Several recent threads have pointed out the reduction in the number of engineering and science/math majors in US universities over the last few years. This may also affect the other majors. For...
90
90

Books on gears
What books are a good place to start on gears? This is looking at gears used for positioning mechanisms and rotational movement. No truck transmissions, just applications useful for lathe and mill...
14
14

Gearbox oil recommendations?
Took a quick look to get an idea on prices, and discovered that there is a rather bewildering array of oils on offer. I'm looking to pick up a couple of gallons of a standard-grade gear oil for my...
7
7

Machining a spur gear
Here's a video on YouTube you might enjoy about making a brass spur gear from start to finish - Rod
5
5

fa: air flow meter anyone? for HVAC type work - in very nice velvet case
this is a very nice looking unit, but in the interests of space, I don't need it figure with all the discussion here about setting up heating or cooling for one's shop, someone will probably have a...
9
9

tipping fountain pen nibs
So far the only reference I turned up to tippin has been on an email address for someone. matthew ohio
2
2

FS: Enco 12 x 36 Lathe in Oklahoma
I have purchase a new lathe and am looking to sell my old Enco 12 x 36 Belt drive bench lathe and stand. It comes with all the factory accessories including a 4-way tool post, 6" 3-jaw chuck, 8" 4-jaw...

FA: here's a mystery tool maybe one of you folks can make something useful out of
as I recall, after some discussion a year or two ago, the general consensus was that this had something to do with an older PABX - I am out of space and don't need it, but it looks like it would be...
1
1

How to re-harden small vice jaws?
Hi all, At a recent watchmaker's fair I bought a small vice. Old, in bad shape, but better than anything I've got at the moment. The thing actually cracked in half somewhere in its lifetime and was...
4
4

Lathe Books
Can anyone recommend a good book on lathe operation. I'm new at this machine and could use some pointers on operation and general how to. Thanks,Silvio
8
8

vinyl sign cutter
Anyone have experience, recommendations for vinyl sign cutters? I see a large price range on eBay: need new roadside signs. I just got a quote for $4K. So, I volunteered my SO to learn how to make our...
19
19

Blue color on steel
What is the process called that gives that blue color to steel. Looked at parkerizing but it does not seem to be the thing. I remember something about heating up a part and quenching in some sort of...
10
10

Anyone have a good scrap bin to scrounge from?
Hello all, In the process of restoring the gigantic, ancient turret lathe I recently aquired, I discovered that it's missing a pin on the underside of the hex head that is used to index the machine to...
12
12