A bomb sent me home early

My surf-fishing trip was cut short this morning by a bomb that went off in a trash can around two miles from where I was fishing. It had been planted along the route of the Semper Five 5K charity run.

Nobody was hurt, but it was creepy. I didn't hear the bomb go off, probably because the breeze was blowing the wrong way and the surf was right in front of me.

So I came home to get out of the confusion; I'll go back again tomorrow, if the road isn't blocked off.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

You could just tell us you they weren't biting and you left early ;-)

So how did you find out if you didn't hear it?

I was in God's country in Michigan's western UP when a bear hunter told me about the 9/11 attacks. I thought it sounded pretty wild... It had been a long day already, left the house early morning to go exploring via topo, compass and GPS. So I mosied back to my vehicle and turned on the radio. Yup, the guy wasn't pulling my leg. Decided it might be a good idea to fill my fuel tanks (had dual tanks) rather than wait longer for a better price (I thought it was too high when I arrived several day's earlier). Made me feel better to have enough go juice for the 600 mile trip back home...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

I didn't get a chance to find out. There were blues out there -- gulls were wheeling all over -- but they didn't come in to the beach during the hour or so I was fishing. The bomb went off around 9:30 AM.

People were running around on the beach and yelling.

Hmm...I was working at my computer, with the TV news on but the sound turned off (my frequent habit during the workday). Then I turned around to look at the TV...

Reply to
Ed Huntress

You gotta quit tossing your dud DuPont plugs in the trashcan, Ed.

Reply to
Don Foreman

But what else are you supposed to do with them? d8-)

There's only one road from Seaside Park down into Island Beach State Park, where I was fishing. I heard they had it blocked late today, although I think they just had a roadblock up, checking out the cars leaving the park.

I sure hope it's open tomorrow.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Tell me about the tackle, target species and methods for that type of fishing.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

He uses a knee tackle on carp.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I've always fished since I was 6yo. It just fascinates me. I like adventure fishing over freezer fishing but I love to eat Bluegill, Yellow perch, GN Pike, Walleye...in that order. I've been trading Canadian Bacon that I smoke for Perch lately and have a bunch of people over for a fry-fest. I especially like Cook's Country Onion Ring batter on the perch.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Sounds good. I was thinking about getting a fishing license now that I'm retired, but damn, all the rivers have pharmaceuticals flushed into them from all the cities upstream these days. I'm wondering if I really want to do that after all.

I used to fish for bluegill, trout, catfish, & crappie (thrown back) as a boy in AR, but haven't been fishing as an adult, with the exception of skipjacking with barbless hooks on a concrete hulled fishing boat off the shore of Ensenada, Mexico about 35 years ago.

P.S: After several requests and no replies, I've come to the conclusion that you don't want me to have your new email address. C'est la vie.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Prolly a bong, knowing Tawm.

Have you taken care of that list order yet? huh? huh? huh?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Someone was put on some list and someone said they'd take care of it. Got a scope cam?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Nothing definite? How about, total bullshit, as usual.

What email?

Reply to
That's What's Up

I've sent it a number of times, can't begin to suspect what is wrong; knotbrush-at-oh.rr.com

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Sort of like discovering a mythical backhoe out there in the desert (used to bury dead bodies), or the 260 mph motorcycle, or any of the other imagined devices that make Gunner such a object of derision.

This is actually a recognized mental condition described as "an individual with this trait (termed a fantasizer) may have difficulty differentiating between fantasy and reality and may experience hallucinations, as well as self-suggested psychosomatic symptoms, it is quite frequently a mental defense against the reality of being a failure".

This condition is accurately described in the fiction account, "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" written by James Thurber and published in "New Yorker" magazine in 1939.

So, rather than "Gunner Asch" it is, in reality, "Fantasizer Asch (the failure)".

Reply to
The Mighty Ant

I scan my junk and trashfiles daily but never did see you. Did you get my not-PC post just now? It appeared to go through. Good!

Reply to
Larry Jaques