an airrifle question - slightly OT

Folks, a couple of questions/ observations.

I grew up around "break barrel" airrifles, with a sight radius equal to the barrellength. I now see fixed barrel airrifles (underlevers, or side levers) but the sight radius is still the same. WHY is this? what are the reasons for not lengthening the sight radius given that the fiream is now more rigid, and "potentially" more accurate?

Has anyone vere designed an airrifle from scratch? I have toyed with the idea of takign a .223 barrel, and making a fixed barrel airrifle with underslung piston assembly, and employing a full length sight radius. Has anyone here ever done something like this? Thoughts?

Thanks, Des

Reply to
Des Bromilow

Most of the break barrel types have the rear sight at the ass end of the barrel to keep the front and rear sights together and so that hinge pin wear isnt a factor. Also something that comes in to play is rear sight visibility. The standard front bead/post and rear notch is nearly unusable if you put the rear notch closer to your face. Its only when you start using peep sights which are mounted much closer to the eye, that you can increase the sight radius. A hell of a lot of people look at a rifle with a peep sight, shake their heads and walk away, or grab one that has a conventional notch rear. These people we call "idiots".

There are a number of makers of full sized rifle caliber air rifles out there. The more common ones are 9mm and .45 caliber. Google is your friend.

You do know that pitched battles were fought with air rifles in the

18th century, are you not? They were very expensive, but various Hesson (?) troops were armed with very powerful, very lethal air rifles. The opposing side considered this very unsporting as they had no plume of smoke to mark their firing points.

Lewis and Clark carried a .36 caliber one on their exploration and used it to good effect.

Check out this one:

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Reply to
Gunner