Any Gear Experts Here?

I have a module gear cutter from Emco (Austria), it's marked:

1/20* Nr 5 HSS

I know it's MOD 1, 20 degree pressure angle, and the Nr 5 denotes the range of teeth it's good for, anybody know for sure the range?

Some catalogues show Nr 5 good for 26-34 teeth (lower cutter numbers for less teeth) and others show 21-25 teeth (lower cutter numers for most teeth).

Confused...

Reply to
Terry Keeley

try alt.machines.cnc -- more of a prof'l machinist thing. Could call Boston Gear. My buddy makes tons of gears, even made one for an 1800's clock, but I don't know how much he actually knows about them. I'll ask tho--but don't get yer spectations up. :) I actually made quite a few gears, under his tutelage, using the 4th (rotary) axis in a cnc mill. Perty neat.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Thanks, I'll give them a shot, surprising no one seems to know here tho...

Reply to
Terry Keeley

Only because you are mixing involute gear cutter numbers with module gear cutter numbers.

Module gear cutters are numbered in reverse to involute: #8 cuts 135+ and #1 cuts 12-13, whereas with involute, #1 cuts 135+ and #8 cuts 12-13..

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Thanks Dan, that's what I was starting to realize looking at more sources, gotta wonder if they're being different just for the sake of being different sometimes...

That's good news, I need to cut a 30T gear so my "Nr 5" is just the ticket!

Unconfused for now...

Reply to
Terry Keeley