Best Rated threads in ⏣ General Metalworkingshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Sheldon is 11" lathes
What years were the 11" ks lathes built by Sheldon

Unistrut Slotted Channel
The Unistrut Slotted Channel is a versatile structural solution for use in building structures. Its 41mm x 2.5mm size is ideal for supporting a variety of structural needs. Its pre-galvanised...
9
9

Honda EU1000i
I bought one that didn't run well at a flea market and flushed the stale gas out of the fuel system to cure it. There are many ideas online to modify and improve small generators so I'd like to know...

Angle shelving uprights - too much point load?
I picked up a sturdy shelving unit (2' x 4' for now) from a local industrial liquidator; it uses perforated angle for the uprights, and will live in a residential garage. While the unit is far more...
4
4

re-packing motor fan motor bearings
I deal with old fractional HP fans and pump where the life must be extended beyond what you'd usually do when replacements are still available. Ages go from 15 to 30 years. Around bronze and even...
10
10

How to reset combination for a Mosler bank safe, installed in 1930 approximately
I have a bank vault in my office building that was probably installed in 1930 as that is the corner stone on the building and it was built to house the Bank of door as you can see is open. I spoke...
2
2

Charging NiMH battery pack
I bought a $35 pair of replacement battery packs for my 14.4V DeWalt drill that contain NiMH instead of NiCad cells like the original. Amazon reviews claim the original DW9118 charger handles them...
26
26

colchester student 2500 lathe
lathe runs for about 30 mins then starts to slow down within 30 seconds it stops as though a brake has been put on , leave it for 20 mins then its ok again until the next 30 mins very frustrating
3
3

zinc for soldering aluminum
You need the zinc, or zinc bearing solder, not flux for soldering aluminum. Heating the base material and not the solder is standard for any process except maybe wave soldering. Source: visiting...
1
1

Mosley combination safe
I have an old Mosley safe of my father in laws. We have the combination and it?s worked for him in the past. I?m in able to open it. I can feel it tighten just a little when I pause at zero then...
1
1

Cutting aluminum with a cheap CNC
I'm not very hopeful in getting a cheap 3018 CNC to cut aluminum well, but... I'm not concerned about how long making cuts takes, so that should help. On YouTube, a few are successful, but many are...
10
10

Waterpik repair
The battery-powered WP-360 Water Flosser eventually slows down, so I buy another and set the old one aside to fix later. Today is later, to avoid the infection risk of a shopping trip and the cost of...
5
5

Compressive strength 3/4" black steel (gas pipe)
Wanting legs for a winch base to pull concrete post bases from soil i have seen a polish fellow make one, he was using square steel tube about 1-1/4" tube about, thanks to trump and covid none is...
2
2

need cap for residential A/C service valve
I topped off the R-22 in my ancient home A/C yesterday, and when putting it all back together, I dropped the cap for the service valve. This is the thing with about a 3/4" hex and a cylindrical dome...
5
5

Cutting up Golden Ray with diamond chain
<>There's an animation of using a "diamond-encrusted cutting chain" in a video in the article linked above, which is about how the VB-10000 will be used to cut the Golden Ray into 8 pieces. "The...
8
8

Sheldon type KS # 857 lathe
I am looking for a manual and a lead screw for this lathe. Thanks, Don
1
1

Speaking of Unwanted Items Series 30 Kwik Switch 300
I bought two Kwik Switch tool holders recently. I paid $30 each plus shipping. It was my mistake. I got 300s instead of 200s. I didn't read the ad properly I guess. Both are half inch. If anybody...

ON TOPIC: Welded joints are usually stronger than the surrounding material?
Maybe, if the weld beads are sound and thicker than the tubing walls and the heat doesn't anneal away any of the tubing's added heat treatment or cold drawing strength, or leave the area next to the...
2
2

ATP5 vs MIC6
In the past when I have needed bits and pieces of cast tooling plate I've bought MIC6. I've made various tool and mounting fixtures with it. Recently I noticed one of my metal vendors has ATP5 for a...
1
1

SC520, Piston Rings, & Bucket Pumps
One of my bucket pumps failed yesterday. Its the one I use my the SC520 cutting additive I used with water for most things. Today I decided to open it up and see if I could do anything about it. It...