Best Rated threads in ⏣ General Metalworkingshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Clausing 5914 - Tool-slide saga
What!? You are making cutoffs with 12 x 12 mm bits!? You don't have to wonder if there is chatter, noise and vibration. 4mm wide for a 50mm deep cut is OK, but the bit has do be *considerably* higher....
10
10

Clausing 5914 VariDrive Wobble - 1st update
After some careful hi-spotting and filing of the bunged-up end of the motor shaft, the pulley now slides onto the motor shaft properly, so I put it all back together, this time with the setscrews...
4
4

Beloit Bridgeport
mill with Digital Readouts - $1500 What a shock! Metalworking machinery in Beloit.. Too damn big to get down my basement steps... http://madison.craigslist.org/tls/510936318.htmlBridgeport
5
5

Top-coating cold galvanizing rustoleum
Project is a trailer to haul coal (take THAT arabs). I'm using hot rolled angle and once I get everything welded up and clean off the mill scale, I was going to use Rustoleum cold galvanizing spray...
7
7

forklift questions
I am starting to look for a forklift for around the shop. There's one on ebay that has brakes that do not work, are they hard or very expensive to fix? I know nothing about forklifts. Item number:...
16
16

Special Deburring Tools?
Does anyone know of a manufacturer other than Cogsdill or E-Z Burr that makes deburring tools that will do both sides of a "hole" with one pass. The tools we know about now are these: line is that if...
4
4

Thoughts on the CQ6128A / Grizzly G9972Z 11x26 lathe
http://www.gilanet.com/ohlandl/lathe/CQ6128A.html

Brake for small windmill?
I've volunteered to help an artist, who wants to place a number of small vertical rotor windmills in a seaside park, on top of picnic sheds. (He has permission!) The rotors will be about 6 ft...
25
25

Hass 5C indexer repair service?
Got a client with a Hass 5C indexer that keeps blowing fuses. According to the sticker inside..it was bult in 1985. Apparently Hass no longer supports this product, and the client is desperate to get...
4
4

JD-455 fix follow-up
Here's the upshot on the John Deere 455 with the non-func tranny. Check out the hydraulic schematic on if you're interested in seeing the logic; chase down through the service links until you find the...
1
1

bond UHMW to SS
I need to bond a small stip of UHMW plastic to 304 stainless steel. How? Karl
23
23

Reed Prentice on Craigslist (Taunton MA) $300
Boston area Craigslist {posted Wed): "I have a metal lathe I do not know much about it. It's a reed prentice maybe from 1940/ 1950. it is very heavy duty. It will take a piece of stock about 44" long...
2
2

seal a water leak
I'm still spending my life tending to a traveling irrigator... Man, a real rain sure would be nice. I have a double collar and overcenter clamp to provide a quick connect on the four inch hose to my...
17
17

Hardening with mercury?
I read this over at practicalmachinist. Sounds like a good application for a Cole drill. It isn't a good idea, and unsafe as hell, but somtimes in an emergency a friend of a friend's uncle once...
2
2

Charmilles EDM Model E110 wiring
I have a Charmilles Model E110 and received the unit with all the wires disconnected. Some of them are obvious where they go but there are two wires tha I cnnot figure out where they go. There is a...
1
1

FS: DAMA Optic Lens Grinding Machine Instruction Manual
for sale: DAMA Instruction manual in english for the FS-100 & FS-100-Micro optic lens grinding machines; factory original. exploded views & electrical schematics are still in German but easily...

1kg Steel Melting Furnace on eBay
For those of you who might be interested, we just listed a new small steel melting induction furnace (1kg capacity, fast melt) on eBay, item # 200115158055. This unit can be run using household power....
10
10

Gingery Books Review
Would anybody here be an owner of one of Dave Gingery's workshop from scrap series of books and be willing to write a review of it in exchange for a link to their site, maybe some xtra traffc, and...

Lost wax vs lost foam
Hi folks, I'm undergraduating in materials engineering and I have some questions. I hope someone can help ;-) What are the advantages of lost foam when compared to lost wax? Can the lost foam process...
5
5

telescoping tubing load question
I'm building an I-beam gantry. It's not an A-frame; rather, it is the kind with one vertical leg on each end. It will be adjustable for height. I'm planning to use 4x4x.180" wall square steel tube for...
12
12